Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-30-2008, 08:00 PM   #1
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion

Clean Coral

Is there a way to "clean/disinfect" coral before adding it to the main tank? Some type of dip or something that is safe and can kill any parasites etc that is in the LFS water? Thanks.

Old 01-30-2008, 09:29 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

I do a dip in a concentrated iodine dip , 1 cap of lugols to 1 gallon of water , for 30 minutes or so then I drip acclimate them , once they have soaked , but they should still be qt for a bit (1-2 weeks minimum ) for to assure that there are no bad hitchikers on it ...

10 gallon ~6.5 gallon custom
Sadielynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 10:04 PM   #3
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion

Would that concentrated iodine dip kill ich if it was in the water? I know drip acclimating is extremely important when you purchse stuff online because by the time it gets to you the PH has dropped etc. The one time I tried drip acclimating istead of very slowly adding tank water to the bag, the water in the bucket I was using to drip acclimate got much cooler than the tank water. Maybe my drips were too slow, I dont know. How fast are the drips when you drip acclimate?
Old 01-30-2008, 10:08 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

I drip at a rate of about 1 GTTS per second ... I failed to mention that when I drip and the water has doubled and I empty to start over I add about 4 GTTS of Iodine , I am not sure if it kills the ich but it is a very small chance that it is on the coral .I am intrested to see what others think as well
10 gallon ~6.5 gallon custom
Sadielynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 10:51 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

I use Reef Dip By Seachem. Sfter a treatment I do not QT and add the corals to my main. However...my LFS does QT all corals for two weeks prior to putting them up for sale.
Old 01-30-2008, 11:55 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sadielynn View Post
... I am not sure if it kills the ich but it is a very small chance that it is on the coral .I am intrested to see what others think as well
I don't know for sure, but I wouldn't think iodine in the concentrations we're talking about here would even make ich blink. If it did, it'd be a recommended treatment, I'm thinking. I'm sure at some concentration it'd kill it off, but I'm sure at that point it'd kill everything else off too.

Regarding the drip acclimation temp drop question... as Sadielynn mentioned, if you dump out half the water in your bucket once you've doubled the original amount, your temp shouldn't drop too much. I vary my drip rate a little depending on how much water I start with and how different the LFS water is compared to my tank. I basically try to double the water volume in the bucket every 30 minutes.
Old 01-31-2008, 11:14 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Activist

Can corals or water host ick? I always thought it was only fish that carry the parasite. I've never dipped or QT'ed new corals, but will start doing so now!
Old 01-31-2008, 12:22 PM   #8
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
Just about anything can carry ich, if they are in the water or laying on corals, inverts or fish. I think it is pretty rare the you will get ich from inverts, corals or water. The best thing to do is make sure your LFS doesn't have it in their tanks.
As for water drops, I do about 4-6 drops per second. I also cover the top of my bucket and put it in my tank's stand to keep the heat stable, for longer drips...

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 03:07 PM   #9
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

Brian what does that reef dip do? Is it for parasites or just a chemical dip to help the coral out?

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 11:16 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Mike...Reef Dip is mainly an iodine based disinfectent. It can help against bacterial or fungal infections in new corals and help remove worms and parasites. Here is a link...
http://www.seachem.com/products/prod...s/ReefDip.html

Tags
clean, coral

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com