Clean up crew

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ellisz

Aquarium Advice Addict
How do most of you add your clean up crew ... in stages or all at once? I have a 75gal that has been up almost a month. I have 2 damsels, 15 total(I think) hermits- red, blue and zebra, a coral banded shrimp and 5 big mexican turbo snails.

We are going to get some more LR and we want some LS to seed our DSB. I was going to order some nassarius snail for the sand bed and maybe some more non-CBS shrimp but I really don't know if I have enough stuff in the tank to feed these crabs and snails. I do not really have large algea growths but I want to make sure my DSB is taken care of.

From the packages I have seen, the number of inverts is barely enough for a 20-30gal. I know the CBS grabs formula one I put in and I saw one of the bigger hermits eating some of the green algea sheets I put in the tank.

Would I be OK to add more or is there a sign I can look for?

Thanks

I'd tend to shy away fro "overstocking" a cleaner crew - often they'll starve if there are too many.

I like to aim for approximately .5 - 1 per gallon - you can always add more if need be.

Nassarius are great DSB stirrers, and will readily pop up to grab any tank food that hits the bottom, so they are easily fed if need be.

maybe some more non-CBS shrimp

Be careful of this mix with the CB - they're not always the friendliest shrimp toward other species.

There is no harm in adding a cleaner crew "all at once" - but always aim for the shy side as far as numbers, and I'd look toward a good mix of snails, and less crabs.

JMO!

I like to aim for approximately .5 - 1 per gallon - you can always add more if need be.

I currently have 15 crabs, 5 snails and a CBS in a 75 gal. This is well below your .5 -1 per gallon. I ordered some LR and LS today from Gulf-view and they recommended I wait a bit before adding much more inverts until I get more algae growth. The tank has been up about a month.

Nassarius are great DSB stirrers, and will readily pop up to grab any tank food that hits the bottom, so they are easily fed if need be.

Everytime I want some, the place is out! Maybe next time.

Be careful of this mix with the CB - they're not always the friendliest shrimp toward other species.

I have heard that but I have seen people do it as well. My CBS always hides. I figured I might try something.

Thanks for the reply.

Back
Top Bottom