Clean up crew 10gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

joebro3333

Aquarium Advice Freak
I want to know the perfect clean up crew for this size tank. Nothing that will bother sps, Lps, and soft corals :) please help

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

You don't need a single crab, snail, shrimp, or starfish to have a perfectly clean tank. The term "Clean up crew" was simply invented as a way to sell livestock. On the other hand, if you like crabs and shrimp and such, then add one or two because you like to look at them, and not because you think they are going to keep your tank clean.
Remember, every piece of food and additive you put in the tank must be removed somehow by you. Water changes, filtration, and reasonable feeding are what keeps a tank clean. Snails, crabs, and shrimp poop just like fish do, so they add to the bio load.
Whatever you add to the tank must have food to sustain it. They say you must "recharge" your cleanup crew every so often, but this is simply because they end up starving to death, and/or killing each other.

Oh JeeZe alright that's for the advice :) but what is a cheap snail to make sure my tank is safe kinda deal? Also when I do whatever changes do I sift through the love sand I add or?

How deep of a sand bed are you thinking? Personally, I've never disrupted a sand bed and haven't had any problems not doing so. I'm not understanding your question about a snail.....what do you mean, "a snail to make sure your tank is safe"?

A safe snail that won't bug my corals? :) and like 10lbs for 10gallon tank the normal:)

So that's just over an inch of sand. There is no normal amount of sand to add to a tank FYI, it's all up to how much of a bed you like. Some like to use the sand bed as filtration and so they keep it a few inches deep, while others just like an inch of sand for looks and light reflectivity. I would not bother stirring it up during water changes.
Unless you purchase a turbo snail which gets about the size of a small tangerine, you'll be fine with any snail. Astrea snails cruise the glass and rock, nassarius dig under the sand and only come out when they smell food. The nassarius are carnivores so you will need to add food to the tank for it.

Back
Top Bottom