Clean Up Crew

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rhino

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Good afternoon all, hope everyone has had a good weekend. I have been working ever so slowly and patiently on my reef tank and the time has come that I want to purchase my CUC. I went to my LFS today, and came back quickly after seeing the prices. They want $3 for a Blue Leg Hermit the size of a pencil eraser :blink:...actually it was probably smaller than that. So I now look to the web. I have heard great things about ReefCleaners so I think I am going to put an order together there. First if you have any experience on them can you chime in? I am going to build a custom crew for my 20 long. Thoughts on what I should get? I would really like a small crab like an emerald. Any help is appreciated since this is my first reef tank, this is my first CUC and the options are overwhelming. :thanks:

Whoa, yeah I agree that was a bit much. I haven't ordered anything from reefcleaners, but something that you could do is order things that aren't marked with a * so that you only have to pay for Priority Mail (spend >$50 = free shipping) so you don't have to spend $30+ for shipping or $175 on a CUC to get free shipping. Then for the hermits and other inverts you want, just go to the lfs and try comparing prices with online stores. It's a hard economy so I'm pretty sure they'll be willing to negotiate and want you to keep coming back! I'd say get 7 nassarius snails (my fav.), 15-20 dwarf ceriths and other snails like nerites, and blue leg hermit crabs. (Also might want to get the 1 cent macro algae if you have a fuge). Good luck!

Watch out for the emeralds they can go rouge and eat coral if you plan on going reef. I just got rid of mine. He liked the coral. :)

Rhino said:
Did not know that about the Emerald. What about Porcelain Crabs?

Porcelain crabs are pretty. But probably smaller than you think. They are actually filter feeders with 2 fans they grab floating micro food in the aquariums current. Mine just sits in a little crevice fanning the day away.

I've been trying to get a pic but he's do small he hides real good.

Sharkbait54 said:
Porcelain crabs are pretty. But probably smaller than you think. They are actually filter feeders with 2 fans they grab floating micro food in the aquariums current. Mine just sits in a little crevice fanning the day away.

I've been trying to get a pic but he's do small he hides real good.

See I know that is boring for alot of people, but I find those kinds of animals interesting.

So hear is what I am thinking now for my cleanup crew:
10 Nerite Snails
8 Nassarius
10 Florida Ceriths
20 Dwarf Ceriths

This is just what I am considering to order from Reef Cleaners. I will have to work out some type of deal with my LFS on Hermits.

I don't think ya need that many snails. I have 1 turbo and 2 zebra snails in my 28 gallon. I do have lots of nassarius though but they breed in the tank.

Crystal A said:
I don't think ya need that many snails. I have 1 turbo and 2 zebra snails in my 28 gallon. I do have lots of nassarius though but they breed in the tank.

Thanks for the advice...funny thing is my list still has less than the list they have built for a 20 long lol. Always heard they were mega over kill.

I think you should get a turbo snail if you have a major algae breakout...my friend put some in his 300 gallon tank and they cleaned it up really fast! Wouldn't want them to starve...or add extra food just for them.

I have a few cerith snails, and they are OK, but eat relatively little for their size. If you want a powerhouse little cleaner, get some astrea snails in your lineup.

Thanks for the advice everyone. I am still undecided on my crew. Spending some time researching the different snail types. Also, shopping around for the best place to get snails. Thanks again.

Back
Top Bottom