clean up crew???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

crage34

Aquarium Advice Freak
as most of u probably know (because u all have babied me this far) my tank is in the cycle process right now.... in the mean time i just wanted to plan my clean up crew, so i could plan on where to get everything
1. what do u recommend for a good cleanup crew in my tank? (and maybe explain what each creature does for the tank because im completly clueless in this aspect)
2. do u recommend me getting a clean up crew online?/if so where?

I would also love to know a little bit about these, i have been told to get a detrivore pack, and wonded exactely what would be good. I have tried to pick up bits and pieces from all the different threads posted, but would grealty appreciate either a brief intro to the critters, or even just a link to a good page on them :) Thanks for the help

I have snails and hermit crabs. The hermits eat the left over food and fish poop, and the snails eat the algae off the glass. I am staying pretty clean, and so is my tank. :lol:

My personal preference is to go with Astrea snails + blue legged dwarf hermits.

The snails do a great job on the glass and anywhere else theres the green stuff.. and the blue legs are great at cleaning up the general gunk off the LR, they also seem to love hair algae.

I've yet to see any problems between crab and snail with this combination, but I suppose it could happen down the road. The crabs are tiny compared to the snails and don't seem at all agressive towards them. I hear they prefer cerith shells.

I've read that the serpent stars and the brittle stars are voracious scavengers, I have one of each in my tank... I havent seen them in the day time.. but I'm hoping they're eating left over foods when im asleep.. just like what the books say :)

should i feed these guys anything at first when putting them in my newly cycled tank? or would there be enough buildup already?

Back
Top Bottom