Clean up Crew

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ajg1460

Aquarium Advice Regular
My tank just finished cycling and I'm ready to put in the first critters.What's a good number of crabs, snails, star fish for a 29 gallon tank? Also I plan on having fish and corals, so are there any I should stay away from. thanks

I just had GREAT luck getting my cleaning crew from www.saltwaterfish.com. I got a wonderful assortment of snails, shrimps, crabs. Everyone came alive and are doing well...even shipped to the cold region of Maine.

I avoided the the 20-55 package and went with the Big 20 + 1, as I did not feel my 40 gallon would be good for a Coral Banded Shrimp..and I much perfer the Cleaner Shrimp that comes with the Big 20 +1. It may have a few more hermits that you need...it was for mine...with the money I saved....I gave some away to friends. If you get the Big 20+1, I would recommend getting an extra 5 Nassarius Snails to keep your sandbed stirred.

Good Luck!

WC

The only crabs I'd add would be scarlet, blue leg, or mexican hermits. Emerald crabs are usually OK. I'd say 6-8 hermits, 6-8 astrea, nerite, or turbo snails, and maybe 10 nassarius snails. You could also have a serpent star if you wish. Stay away from the sand sifting stars. If you want to go with snails only, just up the snail count by 3-4 of each type to make up for the crabs. A pair of peppermint shrimp and, later when you're sure the tank is stable, a cleaner shrimp are good additions. Sally Lightfoot crabs are usually OK in a reef, but they do get large.

I was just about to ask a similar question also.

Is there a article explaining the pros and cons of each type of species in a clean-up crew? What are the proper quantities of each based on tank size?

Thanks

A tank your size wont be able to support a sand sifting star for long. It will deplete the sand of all the life and have nothing more to feed on.

A tank your size wont be able to support a sand sifting star for long. It will deplete the sand of all the life and have nothing more to feed on.
Correct. They can deplete the fauna in a SB in no time flat. Also, they can get pretty big and a 29gal is a bit too small.

I see in your post you have black LS, can you post a pic of that never seen black LS.
The others offer all good choices....the only thing I can add is don't get a large number of critter unless you have an algae issue. In a new tank there may not be enough food/algae to go around for a large snail crew. Crabs can always find something to eat.

patriotman said:
Is there a article explaining the pros and cons of each type of species in a clean-up crew?
Unfortunately no although a good idea. Here's an old post that might help some.
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?p=60732#60732

What are the proper quantities of each based on tank size?
Not really a good way to look at it. Tank size is not always relavent to waste produced. Best idea is to start small and detrmine the quantity based on need.

A good rule of thumb for a well established and stocked tank is about 1 cleaning animal per 1½-2 gal of tank. So for a newer tank or one with a lighter bioload, start with about 25-30% of that and build as needed. The goal being enough to help keep the tank clean while at the same time being self sufficient and not requiring extra feedings or care on your part. Insufficient natural food supplies just = alot of empty shells.

Cheers
Steve

It's called black, but it's really a mix, mostly white with black chunks mixed in. I'd be happy to post a photo, at least I'll try

Attachments

• p1010001__2_.jpg
    p1010001__2_.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 92
Back
Top Bottom