Clean up crew?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ewelch

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a 30 gallon tank that is just finishing its cycle and I have a brown algae bloom going on . What do I add after my water change for a clean up crew? Any suggestions. I heard turbo snails. How many?

Get some snails and hermits. For a 30 gallon I would go with about 15 of each, maybe even more.

Thank you for your advice.
Snails and hermits will help with the algae? I really hate this stuff. It is not that bad yet but I want to get rid of it before it is. 30 is a good #? There is nothing in the tank right now except liverock.

Yeah, 30 sounds good..
Keep in mind they take a little bit of time to get the initial fallout of algae, so don't look at the tank after a couple days and say you need more...
You'd just end up starving the excess in the long run..

THank you. I am so anxious to get some real life into the tank. I watch my live rock continuously. Just tonight I noticed a 'new' tiny circular looking brownish yellow thing. It is small but looks cool. Just need to get rid of the algae. These cleaners won't hurt the tender new live on the live rock will they?

No, not that I have seen on my similarly newish rocks with little bits of life springing up here and there..
they just seem interested in the algae and whatever food I chuck in there for them..

You will get an algae bloom with a new tank, but shouldn't that die out after it's cycled and broken in?

I'm not a fan of adding large numbers of snails and hermits. I have a 55G tank, with four turbos, 2 nassarius' and one hermit. If you add a bunch of snails and the bloom dies off, the snails will starve. They are cheap, but they are still living things.

Congrats, ewelch, on your new tank. Take your time adding life slowly to avoid losses. Good luck.

Thanks I will take it slow. The bloom is not out of control. It is on the rock and spotty on the substrate. Maybe I will add 3 or 4 critters to my tank to start. I appreciate the responses. I guess I can always add more if need arises. My lfs (if you want to call it that) is 40 minutes away. I like to get what I need when I am there.

By the way this forum has been the best source of information I have found. Thanks to all.

One other thing I found when I first got started...

I had live rock and my tank was all set up and cycled. Then a friend gave me a bunch of rock, just rock, not live rock, from his freshwater tank. I called my lfs and they told me I should be able to use it since it's fish-safe. Well, I found out later that when you add dead rock, it has to get populated and go through the diatom algae process. Well, don't add too much dead rock all at once. I had another rather large diatom bloom! It corrected itself in a relatively short amount of time, but it was rather ugly during the process.

Later, I asked the lfs about this and they said, "Yeah, you can't add a lot of it at once." THANKS GUYS for giving me ALL the information I needed BEFORE I needed it! NOT!

I personally think 1 snail for every gallon really helps out. In a 30g I would go with 10 nassarius snails and 20 astrea/margurita snails. I also like having 1 hermit for every 2 gallons. Snails and hermits are a great addition because they help keep algae down, they eat leftover food that your fish don't eat, they stir up the sand bed, and if one of your animals die they will clean up the body in a matter of hours before the carcas can foul up your water.

I personally think 1 snail for every gallon really helps out. In a 30g I would go with 10 nassarius snails and 20 astrea/margurita snails. I also like having 1 hermit for every 2 gallons. Snails and hermits are a great addition because they help keep algae down, they eat leftover food that your fish don't eat, they stir up the sand bed, and if one of your animals die they will clean up the body in a matter of hours before the carcas can foul up your water.

Back
Top Bottom