Clean up crew

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lemonsong

Aquarium Advice Regular
What is a good clean up crew for a 90 gallon reef tank? So far I have 6 astrea snails and I figured adding a couple of dwarf hermits (2-3) and a starfish? To tell you the truth in my tanks I have never really had to worry about a clean up crew but I am looking for a long term success "crew" to help me out. So if anyone has any suggestions that would be amazing. Thanks a million and happy fish keeping!

Well, I suppose thats truely up to you in the end. Snails, hermintcrabs, gobies and certain kinds of fish typically would make a great start. For example : In my tank I had a number of astrea snails, a number of hermitcrabs, sand milk gobies, foxface, yellow tang, lawnmower blenny. Those typically kept my tank nice and pretty for me to an extent. Naturally nothing beats your water changes and filter media. Anyways, thats just my 2 cents.

Well in this tank I have 185 LBS of live rock and from one of my tanks I put a yellow tang in to help out the 6 astrea snails I have just purchased about a week ago. So I am looking in the direction of these snails, some dwarf hermits, the tang, and a starfish. But my LFS never has anything I need...I have not seen any dwarf hermits in ages, and an Echinaster sp. (orange sea star) forget about it!

As you add fish and feed more, you'll end up w/a lot more hermits - up to maybe 70 - 100 of'm IMO. There's probably enuf pickin's on the rock for at least 25 or so now. You'd probably only rarely see 2 or 3.

Also, cleaner shrimp clean tanks of leftover food and fish, so add 3 of them to your ultimate list (once you've got the water pretty stable). Maybe a couple fire shrimp for color also. May need some sinking food to keep'm going. Mix up the snails. Astreas, ceriths, margaritas for the rock and glass. Nassarius for the sand bed. Up to 100 anails eventually won't be out of your range either. Consider a brittle or serpent starfish. I also like the pistol shrimp and shrimp goby (plenty variteies to choose from), but you've gotta have your rock planted on the bottom glass to prevent toppling when they tunnel thru the sand.

Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom