clean up crew for a 29 gallon reef

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RedLeggedHermit

Aquarium Advice Freak
hi ive just recently gotten my new lights for my tank. and now i am seeing an algae bloom. (not really unexpected) so i just wanted to know if my clean up crew will be large enough to maintain the new growth. or if i need to get more little guys... or if i have too many and they wont have enough food. right now i have:

5X red legged reef hermits
3X blue legged hermits
3X astrea snails
2X very small nerite snails
1X tiny hitchhiker nassarius snail
1X green brittle star
2X peppermint shrimp bought due to a small aptasia out break.
1X cleaner shrimp
1X lawnmower blenny
plus some other hitch hikers. like: sponges, a tiny clam or mussel, two small oysters on the astrea snail's shells, and a barnacle on one of the blue legged hermit's shell.

Does seem like a lot for a new tank. You might have to supplement their diet with some algae sheets so they don't starve. Your tank might not have enough algae yet for all of them.

You're just about right on. There aren't any hard rules on CUCs even after all these years. As long as you have plenty of rock they should all do just fine. If, after a year, you find the tank doesn't have enough algae to support them you can always trade a few of them in. You certainly don't have an excessive amount of cleaners by some standards.

when i got the blenny i also started supplementing with green marine algae sheets. the blenny has a nice plump belly so im pretty sure hes getting enough food. :) and i can see lots of algae starting to grow on the glass and LR. ill keep feeding them for now though just to be on the safe side.

Back
Top Bottom