Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-13-2013, 05:34 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Clean Up Crew From ReefCleaners?

So I've been in the hobby for close to a year now. My tank's cuc only consists of 3 snails and 1 hermit crab. I need to increase my cuc but the lfs near me are very cheap! One hermit crab ranges from $3-5 dollars! I'm thinking about buying a cuc online with paying the shipping because it would probably save me more money than buying from the lfs. Has anyone bought from reefcleaners and how was your package delivered? Did your cuc survive the trip and was it worth the money? I've never bought livestock online before so this would be a first. Was the shipping costly? Need some answers before I go on and do this. Please leave me some feedback.

Old 01-13-2013, 06:34 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

I ordered from them once. I didn't get anything that needed priority mail so I got free shipping b/c I spent $50+. So got mostly nassarius, nerites, ceriths (and dwarf ones). I ordered about 75 ceriths and they gave me almost 200 it looked like! Everything was wrapped in moist towels and the acclimation directions said to just toss them in which I thought was questionable, but I followed it. Everything has done well and I'll be ordering from them again. Order a whole bunch of stuff b/c shipping is pretty pricey.

- Winston Churchill
obscurereef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 09:44 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

I ordered a CUC from them. I actually just wanted a few things to finish out my CUC in my 10 gallon but they send so much extras my tank is packed with snails lol. I ordered some nassarius, nerites, and dwarf ceriths, and same as with obscurereef, I only ordered 6 and got like 30 of the dwarfs! lol. There were extras of everything I ordered to cover DOAs, but everything survived and are still doing well. Shipping was barely anything for me but they are located only about 15 mins from me. I've always wanted to go check it out so I emailed them asking if I could and they said they aren't open to the public sadly.
Old 01-13-2013, 09:55 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Just me and my own experience with them. I did the custom CUC for your tank. I filled the paper work out and emailed them. What they wants to send me was way way overkill IMHO. I went to my LFS and hand picked my stiff a little more money but worth it IMO.

The Con

"When creating an aqua scape, strive for the beauty of imperfection, as its art and there is no wrong or right, it's left open for interpretation" James Findley
Convict2161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 09:58 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Why not just order whatever you wanted?
Old 01-13-2013, 10:36 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by okapizebra View Post
Why not just order whatever you wanted?
I just went to my guy. Wasn't knocking them, they just tend to go overboard IMO.

"When creating an aqua scape, strive for the beauty of imperfection, as its art and there is no wrong or right, it's left open for interpretation" James Findley
Old 01-13-2013, 11:07 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

With freebies? I thought that was a good thing. lol

I don't have anywhere near me to get good inverts so reef cleaners is the best choice for me.
Old 01-13-2013, 11:13 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
If you add so many snails, hermits, and whatever else, and have to actually add food to the tank to sustain them, it's not a good thing. Not saying anything about Reef Cleaners, because I've never ordered from them, but just have enough food available for whatever you intend to keep.
Old 01-13-2013, 11:35 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_X View Post
If you add so many snails, hermits, and whatever else, and have to actually add food to the tank to sustain them, it's not a good thing. Not saying anything about Reef Cleaners, because I've never ordered from them, but just have enough food available for whatever you intend to keep.
This ^^^ with the amount of inverts you put in your tank one must realize they have to eat also. I don't see the point in having to feed inverts and fish when IMO a CUC isn't necessary at all in a saltwater tank.

There nice to look at don't gets wrong. Just don't see the point. I had a CUC and after they go I'm most likely not replacing them expect for the "cleaner shrimp" why? Because I like looking at the little critter lol.

Again not at all knocking reef cleaners.

This is purely my own opinion.

Old 01-13-2013, 12:08 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Even out of all the extras they sent me I don't find that I need to add any extra food at all. Plus I enjoy having inverts in there, especially in a nano tank because my fish options are limited. Just my opinion as well.

I just think if the OP is looking for good quality inverts to create their clean up crew IMO reef cleaners is a great choice. Under order if you're worried about getting too many, or just tell them to not bother sending any extras.

Tags
clean, clean up crew, cleaner, reef

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com