Clean up crew list...comments/advice??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Heineken

Aquarium Advice Activist
Is there a rule of thumb for stocking your clean-up crew? I have a 90gal and this is what I'm considering when the time comes:

1 Cleaner Shrimp
5 Peppermint Shrimp
20 Nassarius Snails
10 Turbo and/or Astrea Snails (10 total from this group)
10 Cerith Snails
25 hermit crabs

Does this sound about right? When my tank is done cycling, may I add them in or should I wait longer. May I introduce them all at once, or no? TIA!

looks like a nice rounded selection. i would say add about half of the snails and crabs now and see how it goes. once you get those in the tank, you will be able to tell what critters you need more of.

Looks pretty good. You may want to pu tin one sand-sifting star. Also, consider adding a second cleaner shrimp. I have two and they hang out togther all the time.

More snails wouldn't hurt either. Do a few like grimlock stated first to see how it goes.

Got it. Is the sand sifting star a difficult one to keep? Any lighting requirements? I have 4 x 96W lighting. Also, would you recommend that I order these online or do they not ship well? Thanks

I'd recommend the sand sifting along with a greyish pinkish brittle star. Or maybe a serpent. The brittle will hang out on the rocks and eat from there also. You'll be fine with stars and the lighting you have. They like dark spaces and won't be out in the light anyway.

You could actually take 2 sand sifters and a couple of brittles or serpents in your size tank, but like said already, half now and half later as more stuff for them to eat may be present.

I had 2 sand sifters for about 9 months. 3 months ago, one kinda disentegrated. I was told there may not have been enuf in the sand to eat. The second one bit the dust 2 weeks ago. One arm was missing, but the cleaners and peppermit started eating at him, and they ate at him into his center disk. Didn't last long after that. Not sure I'll try another.

Make sure you have food for your SSS, in a new tank they will need supplemental feedings.

If I were doing it again I'd go fewer crabs and extra snails. Personal preference. The species you have listed all look good.

Ditto grimlocks advice to add them slowly - if there isn't enough in the tank to eat they will turn on one another (at least the hermits will anyway)..

Back
Top Bottom