Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-25-2012, 10:29 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

Good idea. Try reefcleaners.org Theyre really good. And I thought the caribbean spiny was a blue spiny when I bought him, then researched, and, well, yeah, kinda sucks, 2 feet. I dont think he'll get that big, but if he does, Ill give him to an aquarium/my lfs to find him a good home. Does your lobster come out at night? Mine runs around the tank at night.

Old 03-25-2012, 10:31 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Oh and I have a black edge moray eel. Hes about 1.5 feet long now and will get a little bit bigger. The thing thats really cool about them is that they are actually directly related to the green moray and tessalata (genus:gymnothorax) which I find really cool. You could keep one in a 125 if you wanted. Liveaquaria.com sells them.

Old 03-25-2012, 10:32 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Freak

Yes, I have seen him a little at night, but only after all lights out. It is pretty dark in my basement when all lights are out. Hard to see and not super fun viewing experience. I've heard you can use red flashlights and that won't bother the tank. Heard of that?
Old 03-25-2012, 01:04 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

No I havent. I do have moonlights though so I can see him perfectly. Maybe you could get some and view hiim at night? That would be awesome!
Old 03-26-2012, 01:04 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

The bad reviews are certainly not encouraging. But remember, most unhappy customers will complain loudly online. Most happy customers just quietly go on their way. The percentage of unhappy customers for a given company is almost always lower than it seems. So you might get lucky. Crossing my fingers for you!
MacDracor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 10:27 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Freak

Just a little update on the cuc order. So far, my experience with Aquatic Connection has been better than what I have read. I actually called my bank right when they opened on Monday to try to stop the transaction out of panic. Unfortunately, the transaction had already cleared, so they said there was nothing they could do. They told me to keep a really good record of all communications, and if there was something unsatisfactory then I could dispute the charge. So, I started a log of all calls and emails just in case.

Anyway, I called the company Monday morning. At first, did not feel good as a went straight to voicemail. :gulp: I sent an email right after, and then called the number a second time. To my surprise, I got a real person. They looked up my order, and I confirmed that they have everything in stock. They were a little hesitant to provide a ship date, but said it would likely be out by Wednesday. Later that day, I received a call back regarding my voicemail, and a reply to my email. It seems that there might be insufficient internal communication within the company. Finally, last night, an email confirmed that my order would ship Tuesday or Wednesday.

I'll post again with updates. The biggest factor will obviously be the quality of the critters.
Old 03-27-2012, 10:52 AM   #17
AA Team Emeritus

I'm a bit confused and pardon if I didn't read everything above but...

You say you have a new tank and have all those inhabitants already?? Also, for a "new tank", that clean up crew list is also likley too much at once.

Chances are you've been moving too fast with adding other stuff and didn't take care of the aptasia problem before it got out of hand. I know your estimate of 7.4 billion wasn't serious, but if you've got as much as we think you do, peppermint shrimps won't help you, as I thought I saw reading above.

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 12:11 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I have my concerns as well about the age of the tank and it's current livestock. A copperband butterfly is the LAST thing you need to add right now. LOL Very difficult fish to keep. But anyways. lol I have ordered from aquacon before and found their fish to be very good and healthy. The corals are another story though. And all their inverts, those that arrived alive have been fine. The only trick is they have a 2 hour window on DOA items so you have to adhere to that. AND their shrimp and most inverts have no guarantee so best to just stick with fish. LOL

I also had a zillion aipastia and peppermint shrimp did nothing at all. The best bet if this is a new tank is to go rock by rock and either take the rock out and burn the buggers or get some aipastia X and start a killing spree every few days.
Old 03-27-2012, 01:49 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Freak

Ok, here's a bit of the back story to help everyone understand a bit better. The tank is new to me but it is a well established tank. I bought the whole setup off a guy on CL. Everything in the tank has been in at least a year (most of it around 2 years). He originally bought the tank off someone else on CL so a lot of the elements are well over 2 years old. He did not have much to work of the sand, glass, and had let the tank go quite a bit. Right now I just want to get the cuc to help with the sandbed, glass and maybe the Aiptasia. If the peps dont work, I will take more drastic measures. Lemon juice in a syringe has worked but I can't get to the hard to reach places and it just comes back. I really don't want to remove every rock from the system if I don't have to.

The copperband is definitely on the "long term" list. It is not something I am thinking about until I get some more experience.
Old 03-27-2012, 04:53 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

This one was 2' long and very tame. He lived in a marine sanctuary where there is no fishing allowed.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-580185040.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	258.2 KB
ID:	85312  

Tags
clean, clean up crew, suggestions

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com