Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-30-2012, 01:15 PM   #41
Aquarium Advice Freak

Ok, so I tried the poke method with no response. I don't see any of the tube feet moving. I briefly put it on the back of my hand underwater and I felt no movement on my hand. Didn't see any movement of the mouth either. Like I said earlier, the star seems fairly stiff, but not totally inflexible. It didn't wrap itself to the contour of my hand over about a three minute period. I briefly lifted it from the water to smell it, and it still smells fine (like the ocean)

Old 03-30-2012, 07:13 PM   #42
Aquarium Advice Addict

Put it on it's back. Naturally vulnerable position. It will not want to stay there and will (if alive) try to right itself. Starfish may be slow, but it'll start on it s quick as it can unless dead or dying.

MacDracor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 11:18 AM   #43
Aquarium Advice Freak

Good news: I definitely saw it moving a couple times yesterday. I saw muscles rippling from the end of the arm toward the mouth and when I put him up on a snail shell it moved a couple cm off the shell over the course of about an hour
Bad news: when I flipped it up side down it did not right itself. It definitely reacted. It lifted a couple of its arms a few times a cm or so. One arm it began to rotate toward the sand, but it never made it anywhere close to right side up. I felt sorry for it after like 10 minutes and flipped it back over.
My conclusion for the time being is that it's not dead but I think it's dying. I'm not really sure how much movement is normal but this guy has not moved more than 5 cm in 2 nights in the tank.
Old 03-31-2012, 05:42 PM   #44
Aquarium Advice Addict

I've found conflicting information about this particular star. Most say it is a detritivore, sifting through the sand, but a few sites say it is a molluscivore, needing clams and mussels to eat (note that one person who kept one said it would ignore molluscs even when placed on or near them).
Another finding of note is that it seems to be common on the southeastern coast of the USA. IF that is the case, your tank may be too warm for it. Much like the Catalina Goby is often sold as a reef tank, but needs cooler temperatures.
Sea Stars in general are tricky animals to keep, unfortunately, and it may be on it's way out. But Maybe you'll be able to rescue it. Try target feeding with very small food like mysid shrimp to see if maybe it just needs some easy to eat food. Also, consider dropping the temperature just a couple degrees.
Take everything I just said with a grain of salt. This is from 5 minutes of research, not any personal experience with this animal.
Old 04-01-2012, 05:01 PM   #45
Aquarium Advice Freak

Tank of the Month Award

Go to your LFS and work out a deal for when they place an order. The more they order the cheaper they get them. Work crew has been essential in my 450 gal. Hundreds of snails, 120 hermit crabs, a dozen peppermint shrimp, emerald crabs, sand sifting gobies, bristle tooth tangs. You could try a Copperband Butterfly for the aiptasia.
Old 04-01-2012, 05:04 PM   #46

You will have a squeaky clean tank with all of them cleaning snails
Old 04-01-2012, 08:50 PM   #47
Aquarium Advice Freak

Hard time figuring out this royal starfish. I don't think it is really much of a sand sifted or a detritivore. Still hasn't moved much since Thursday. I gave it some jumbo mysis shrimp yesterday. Just squirted them right under his central disc. He seemed to respond well. All of his arms started rippling inward for like 5 minutes. I did the same today with the same response. maybe he is more of a carnivore?
Old 04-01-2012, 08:58 PM   #48
Aquarium Advice Addict

very possible. Like I said, I found some conflicting information about them. If he really likes the mysis, keep em coming. Maybe that will help him pull through.
Old 04-01-2012, 10:43 PM   #49
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacDracor
very possible. Like I said, I found some conflicting information about them. If he really likes the mysis, keep em coming. Maybe that will help him pull through.
Are they like anemones in that they only need food like once a week or are we talking daily feedings?
Old 04-02-2012, 01:23 AM   #50
Aquarium Advice Addict

I really couldn't say for sure. Most echinoderms are grazers, but the predatory ones seem to just eat whenever the opportunity arises. See if you can find someone else online who has owned one. It's unlike anything I have. I have a fromia that grazes all day on a bacterial film, a tuxedo urchin who grazes on algae day and night, and a serpent star who just eats whenever he can catch something every couple of days.

Tags
clean, clean up crew, suggestions

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com