Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-24-2012, 12:05 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Clean up crew suggestions

Ok, so I need the help of those with experience. My first additions to my new tank are going to be clean up crew. The sand bed needs help, and I have an Aiptasia problem that needs biological control. Heres a list of what is currently in the tank followed by a list of potential new additions. I would like your thoughts on compatibility, effectiveness, and any things I might be missing or over killing on.

Current inhabitants:

1 maroon clown
1 blonde naso tang
1 fox face lo
2 percula clowns
1 maxi mini
1 tree coral
2 Zoa colonies
1 green bubble anemone
Several mushrooms
1 red hairy lobster
2 brittle stars
1 small crab ( I think a gorilla, and I know I need to get rid of him, can't catch the bugger)
Several Turbo snails (don't know how many, but probably 10 ish)
Several small hermits (again, don't have a count)
7.4 billion Aiptasia (estimated population size)

Hopeful additions:

All from aquatic connection special deals page. Check it out. Some really good deals

http://www.aquacon.com/saltwater_spe...utmk=210705557

30 nerite snails
5 peppermint shrimp
21 nassarius snails
5 tiger conch
20 blue leg hermits
20 scarlet hermits
1 arrow crab
10 cerith snails
25 Astraea snails
5 emerald crab
2 purple pin cushion urchin

So, what do you think? Any and all insightful opinions are appreciated. Is this website reputable? I'm getting all this for around $160 plus $50 for overnight shipping

Old 03-24-2012, 12:08 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

Oh, btw, 125gal tank LR, LS

Old 03-24-2012, 10:04 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

I would just go with the peppermints for aiptasia. Seems like a little overkill to me. My tank has a grouper, tang, trigger, baitfish, and eel, and a caribbean spiny lobster and I only have 10 turbos a couple Astraea and 40 or so hermits. That's it. Pods do a lot of work. And btw, that's a cool lobster you got there. Almost got one but decided on the Caribbean spiny. Just got him and the eel two days ago. Gl
Old 03-25-2012, 12:58 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

Yeah he was super cool looking when I put him in. I wish he wasn't so reclusive. I hardly ever see him. He hides in the rock all day. It's funny. I know where he lives so I stick my face right near his house and he comes at me claws up tryin to act all tough.

Well I hope it is not total overkill. With the price for shipping I felt like I should get as much as possible to reduce the relative shipping costs. When I looked at all the reef cleaner packs at the other websites it seems that many of them were comparable for a 125 gal tank. I am getting more diversity than those packs and a couple of just cool things that I wanted like the urchins.

What do you think about this one.....Should I remove shells of dead snails from my sand bed or just leave them. The guy I bought this set up from did not take the best care of it, and the bed is pretty littered with remnant snail shells. So far, I have just left them, but I am not crazy about the look of a dozen empty shells all over the sand.
Old 03-25-2012, 01:02 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by crister13
I would just go with the peppermints for aiptasia. Seems like a little overkill to me. My tank has a grouper, tang, trigger, baitfish, and eel, and a caribbean spiny lobster and I only have 10 turbos a couple Astraea and 40 or so hermits. That's it. Pods do a lot of work. And btw, that's a cool lobster you got there. Almost got one but decided on the Caribbean spiny. Just got him and the eel two days ago. Gl
How big does the Caribbean spiny get? I think I had one of those for dinner in cancun once.....lol, they get pretty huge, don't they? I really want an eel too, but I have heard that they will eat pretty much anything that they can fit in their mouth. What variety did you get?
Old 03-25-2012, 01:13 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Regular

I don't know if you have ordered yet. I have heard nothing but bad from aquatic connection. Check the reviews. If you have or do order from them let me know about your experience.
Old 03-25-2012, 01:16 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Regular

Bioteacher whether you remove the shells or not is up to you but I just leave them hermit crabs like shell choices. If you get hermit crabs smaller than the shells you have sitting in you tank they will eventually move into them.
Old 03-25-2012, 05:57 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Ok, so if you want that crab out, I'd suggest getting a small jar and leaning it against the rockwork with a piece of shrimp inside of it. A crab will be able to get in, but not climb out. Watch out that the stars don't get in it though. They'll steal the bait.
I would leave the snail shells for the crabs as they grow. If you don't like seeing them, toss them into/behind the rockwork. Crabs will still find them.
Caribbean Spiny Lobsters can reach almost 2 feet in length.
Aiptasia are a real pest. Peppermint shrimp will sometimes eat them, but it's hit or miss. You might get lucky.But then again, you might not.
There are also a few fish that eat aiptasia. The downside is that they may munch on coral as well. Copper banded butterfly fish seem to be fairly safe. A lot of good testimonials state that they'll devour aiptasia and are generally reef safe.

I have never used aquacon before. I have used liveaquaria, gulf coast ecosystems, and LA Reefs, all with good experiences.
MacDracor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 10:20 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trusty_one
I don't know if you have ordered yet. I have heard nothing but bad from aquatic connection. Check the reviews. If you have or do order from them let me know about your experience.
**** it! I wish I had seen this before I submitted. I just searched for reviews and they are frighteningly bad. F rating from BBB. Lots of horror stories. I feel like I might get screwed. I think I am going to call my bank first thing Monday to try to stop the transaction.
Old 03-25-2012, 10:28 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacDracor
Ok, so if you want that crab out, I'd suggest getting a small jar and leaning it against the rockwork with a piece of shrimp inside of it. A crab will be able to get in, but not climb out. Watch out that the stars don't get in it though. They'll steal the bait.
I would leave the snail shells for the crabs as they grow. If you don't like seeing them, toss them into/behind the rockwork. Crabs will still find them.
Caribbean Spiny Lobsters can reach almost 2 feet in length.
Aiptasia are a real pest. Peppermint shrimp will sometimes eat them, but it's hit or miss. You might get lucky.But then again, you might not.
There are also a few fish that eat aiptasia. The downside is that they may munch on coral as well. Copper banded butterfly fish seem to be fairly safe. A lot of good testimonials state that they'll devour aiptasia and are generally reef safe.

I have never used aquacon before. I have used liveaquaria, gulf coast ecosystems, and LA Reefs, all with good experiences.
Yeah I think the copperband will eventually find it way into my system, but I am not ready to add any fish. I currently have a perc clown in QT watching for some possible parasites. I figure the peps could act in the mean time, and who knows, maybe they will take care of the problem.

Right now I am Really worried that I am in trouble with a shady dealer. I mean if it works out, it is an awesome deal, but everything I've read says that I will be receiving a lot of dead inverts am never get my money back.

Tags
clean, clean up crew, suggestions

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com