Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-30-2011, 04:07 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Clean up crews???

I am going to get a 110g tank with about 85-95 Lbs. Of rock with 2" inches of dead sand and i was wondering if my plan for the cuc is good: - 5-turbo snails. 1-random small snail at my fish store 2-hermit crabs. 1-emerald crab. 1-cleaner shrimp. 1-peppermint shrimp. 1-mini brittle starfish. ----do you think this is good?----------------------fell free to give recomendations------------

Old 04-30-2011, 11:53 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Are you doing a reef tank?

Turbo snails are little bulldozers so make sure your rock work is very stable.

You might want to try to get some nassarius snails to help keep the sand clean since they burrow.

If you are wanting peppermint shrimp as aiptasia control make sure to get a few of them and watch them before you get them to make sure they sway back and forth. That isn't a 100% that they will kill aiptasia anyway but all of mine have.

Hermit crabs will kill a snail just to see if it shell is a better fit they have no idea about size. I have seen them kill a snail only to find out they can go in reverse in a circle to get to the shell they just left.

Astera snails are one of my favorites they don't bother anything or anyone in the tank.

I like emerald crabs but they are hit or miss when it comes to bubble algae.

Old 04-30-2011, 02:51 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

For a tank that big I suggest get'n a bigger cuc. Try go'n to liveaquaria.com and check out the clean'n crew packs. You can custom make em or get the pack recommended for you're size tank.
Old 04-30-2011, 02:54 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

For a cheap crew I;d check out reefcleaners.com as well. You get WAY more than your monies worth with them. lol
Old 04-30-2011, 05:08 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

I agree with carry. That was just the first place that came to mind. Do some scope'n out on the Internet you will find what you're look'n for and for short money. Good luck
Old 04-30-2011, 05:15 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I 2nd reefcleaners.org I just got my order on Thursday, very good survival rate. If you are against hermits, just check the shells before you drop them in. I think a few of my snails were actually hermits (which is fine by me, I like hermies)
Old 04-30-2011, 08:40 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

I would suggest you increase your rock to the one and a half to two pound per gallon range and increase the sand bed to 4 to 5 inches. Get the base rock to go with the live to start.Don't go crazy on a cuc until your tank is in operation and cycled,otherwise the cuc won't have anything to cleanup and will starve .
Old 04-30-2011, 10:53 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricksreef
I would suggest you increase your rock to the one and a half to two pound per gallon range and increase the sand bed to 4 to 5 inches. Get the base rock to go with the live to start.Don't go crazy on a cuc until your tank is in operation and cycled,otherwise the cuc won't have anything to cleanup and will starve .
+1
Old 05-01-2011, 07:53 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Regular

just ordered about 60 snails or so from reef cleaners for my 60 gallon....go to their website and you can email the guy John with all of your tank info and he'll give you a custom CUC.

Tags
clean, clean up crew

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com