Cleaner crews

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

flynnternet

Aquarium Advice Regular
I am nearing the end of my cycle and I was planning on adding a "cleaner crew" to the tank next (within a few weeks).

Anyone have recommendations for a good crew for a 29gal? I see that some retailers sell packages, but are these legit? In terms of preference I'd love to have a shrimp or two, but otherwise I am open to those that experience says create the healthiest environment.

Would I quarantine a crew before adding it to the tank?

Thanks again.

I would look into a variety of snails to start with, astrea, cerinth, nerite etc. Get a good mix so that they may take to eating different algaes, cerinth and nerites will also dig into the sand and help keep that clean. Shrimp are not really "cleaners" but will eat left over food. If you don't have any fish to feed when you add shrimp I would plan on feeding them. As far as the online packages go, I've never ordered online but if the package seems to offer what you want and is a reputable seller then it may be worth a try. Also, keep in mind that many cleaner crew packages sometimes can come with crabs or other inverts that may not be entirely reef safe down the road. HTH

Thanks for the info.

I see there are pro-crab and anti-crab parties out there. Seems like most packages come with crabs. More thinking to do...

It depends on the type of crab and how much cleaning it has to do. I've never had any problems with my emerald or blue-legged hermit (who is quite large). I have plenty of algae for them to find and extra shells for the blue-legged has kept him happy. There were times I wish he had taken out a snail or two (and has found the dead ones).

MHO

This is a crew package desgned for a 30gal I found on MarineDepotLive.com:

7 Scarlet Hermit Crabs, 12 Turbo (or Astrea) Snails, 18 Mexican Red-Leg (or 36 Blue-Leg) Hermits, 1 Emerald Mythrax Crab, 1 Sand Sifting Cucumber, 2 Serpent Starfish, 5 Nassarius Snails

Cost is $93 plus shipping.

Any thoughts on this? Good price? Bad price? Dangerous crabs?

Also, should I be putting inverts in a QT for 3 weeks as well, or is that only for fish?

You may want to check out floridapets.com

They have great prices and John and Shelly are great to work with if you don't know exactly what you are looking for. I found their prices to be lower than most and they reply very fast to emails, you can even call them.

Just another option if you are still looking.

In my 29, I have 10 Nassarius Nerite, 6 Astreas and peppermint Shrimp, and probably other sand sifter I occacsionally see that hitchhiked with my LR.

What type of snail is it that you alway see on necklaces kind has split from top to bottom.

f-dean said:
What type of snail is it that you alway see on necklaces kind has split from top to bottom.
Cowrie snails. You should be very careful when purchasing these guys though. Most are not reef safe and will eat certain corals and anemones. The only ones I would trust are ring cowries.

Cheers
Steve

i got my cleanup crew from live aquaria (sterns&foster) and i thought it was excellent, i would receommend checking there- they seem to be pretty cheap too, esp the etropicals side of the site

I purchased a tiger cowrie...they told me is was a reef safe trochus. WRONG! He was slightly smaller than a tennis ball....he enjoyed my pink zoos. May they rest in peace.

Blues...evil little buggars. I will never purchase another blue.....ever. They are notorious for ripping other crabs and snails out of their shells. Scarlets and Emeralds how ever are great!

Squishy

Back
Top Bottom