Cleaner Fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tuwhada

Aquarium Advice Activist
What other fish are good in the eating parasites off fish. I had a bicolor cleaner wrasse that was doing AWESOME, was eating and everything no probs and now he is missing. SO I need some other fish that is effective in controlling parasites. I know there are some angels are gobies that do or something other then a cleaner wrasse which never survive.

Christina

I would recommend cleaner shrimp (skunk cleaner, in particular) and maybe neon gobies. Stay away from cleaner wrasses, they have an abysmal track record in captivity.

I'm with ReefRunner on the skunk (lysimata) cleaner shrimp. They will boldly approach fish and will even pick up little fish to groom as well as jump onto big fish like tangs to get the job done. They'll even groom you if you stick a hand near them. They work well together, too. You can put two or more together. I used to only have one per tank but found out they are more effective in pairs. They come out more and set up an all day fish cleaning station rather than just grooming at night as the solitary ones seem to do.

actually I should have mentioned that I can't have a cleaner shrimp b/c I have a porc puffer.

Christina

Back
Top Bottom