Cleaner shrimp?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MarkW19

Aquarium Advice Addict
Couple of questions about cleaner shrimps:-

1. They don't add much bioload to the system do they?

2. Can I add one cleaner shrimp one week after adding 2 clowns to my 35gallon tank? Note the clowns will be the first fish in my tank, so therefore the shrimp will be added one week after the very first 2 fish.

3. Am I right in thinking I dont have to feed them, they'll get all the food they need for the other fish and the rock etc.?

Thanks!

No, they don't really effect your tank in terms of bioload and as long as your levels are good, you should be fine to go ahead and add the shrimp... just do at least a 2 hour drip acclimation. You don't have to feed them directly... they will snag some food on their own when you feed the fish as well as scavenging for leftovers.

A cleaner shrimp will be fine in your tank. Add your two clowns first, wait a week and test your water. If your amonia, nitrites are at zero go ahead and add the shrimp. Your cleaner will find it's own food and will gladly eat at meal time in your tank.

OK, thanks :) So 1 week would be enough after a newly cycled tank has had its first 2 fish in it, assuming levels are all ok?

When I put the shrimp in (I was planning to do a different acclimation - remove one 3rd bag water and replace with tank water, wait 15 mins and repeat another 2 times, as suggested in The Conscientious...), should I net him and then just let him fall through the water - will he be ok falling that far onto the bottom?? Should I try and make sure he lands on bare sand, rather than rock?

:)

Yes, as long as your levels are fine, you should be ok to add him. I would recommend a 2 hour drip acclimation... inverts tend to be more sensitive than fish and will adapt better with a gradual acclimation.

After the acclimation, just net him and release him into the tank. He won't fall like a rock... he'll swim to where he wants to go.

All you need is a clean 5 gallon bucket (one that has never at any time had any chemicals in it... you can get them for like $5 at Home Depot) and some airline tubing.

Use the tubing to start a siphon between your display tank and the bucket. Once water is flowing through the tubing, tie a loose knot in the end closest to the bucket. You want to restrict the flow so that it is a rapid drip (2-3 drips per second) rather than a continuous stream of water.

Once you have the drip set up, release the shrimp with the bag water into the bucket. Continue the drip for at least 2 hours before netting the shrimp out of the bucket.

OK, sounds like a good idea...

But the bag water probably won't cover the shrimp when it's in the bucket (surface area etc.)?

What I usually do in that case is to carefully tip the bucket to one side until there is enough water pooled on one side of the bucket to cover the animal then prop it that way with something until there is enough water to cover the animal with the bucket sitting flat.

OK :)

So 2-3 drips a second for 2 hours won't be too much of a difference for the Shrimp?

When I'm putting him in the bucket, should I net him or just pour the bag contents carefully in to the bucket?

The gradual addition of your tank water over 2 hours will make the transition from the LFS water to yours easier. I acclimate all my fish and inverts this way. And you can just very carefully pour him out of the bag and into the bucket. Good luck!

Thanks! :D

I've got 2 choices for the "bucket":-

1. 5 gallon plastic tank that I use for storing mixed saltwater ready for waterchanges.

2. 15 gallon glass tank that's my QT/hospital tank, and has been used over the past couple of weeks for storing/mixing saltwater, but from now on will be used just as a QT/hospital tank.

I'd prefer to use the smaller one, will it be ok with a) It having saltwater mixed in it just a day before and b) It will be used again in a week to store some more saltwater in. Is it ok to put my shrimp in there while he acclimiatises, with there just been some saltwater in it ealier and with it being used every week for storing saltwater?

Can I just rinse it out before and after I put him in?

You should be fine using the 5 gallon plastic tank. Just rinse it with some RO water before and after the acclimation.

Does it have to be RO water I rinse it with, if I also dry it after? Dont have any spare RO water at the mo :p

He's just acclimatising at the mo :)

I'm thinking of adding another one (same size, quite small) on Sunday - is that ok? I read they're less reclusive if there are 2 of them, but is it ok to put another one in (from the same tank at the dealers) but not at the same time?

kreach said:
No, they don't really effect your tank in terms of bioload and as long as your levels are good, you should be fine to go ahead and add the shrimp... just do at least a 2 hour drip acclimation. You don't have to feed them directly... they will snag some food on their own when you feed the fish as well as scavenging for leftovers.

Does this apply to all shrimp? I was thinking about adding a peppermint or 2, but haven't decided yet.

Can I add another cleaner shrimp in a few days then?

Skipper: Inverts in general don't really add to your bioload in any significant way. In fact, they help decrease the bioload stresses because they are consuming leftover food and such.

Mark: Again, as long as your levels are fine, you should be ok adding a second cleaner.

Back
Top Bottom