Cleaner Shrimp

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GoodFish

Aquarium Advice Freak
As for food what should i feed him? and is it normal for it to stay mainly in one place for about an hour? there is a lot of algea near him...could he be eating? do they move around much?

How often should i feed them ?

he may not clean the alage, no need to feed them, they will eat what your fish dont eat, its awesome watching them eat, as soon as i open the tank hes on his way ready to eat. i wouldnt worry about him not moving around a lot, try dropping a tiny bit of food in, he will probably go right after it. How long did you accimilate, If you just put him in, give him time to get used to his surroundings. Inverts are really sensitive to water changes, make sure he has a good accimilation, and also when you add him, dont add any of the fish stores water, and leave lights off for an hour or two, because it stresses them.

i acclimated him for about an hour....left the lights on, should i shut them off? doesnt look to be bothering him anyways what food do i drop in? i have no fish food....well, i have no fish lol...what do you suggest?

Okay i just shut off my light, and turned on my lunar lights...i bought 12 turbos too...they already cleaned about 5 pieces of rock....there awsome...

Where did you wind up getting them. For food for fish and all inhabitants i use Formula 1 frozen pellets, Formula 2 dry sinking pellets, and frozen brine shrimp, alternating the three. i also hang nori for my tang. Your shrimp will eat all of that.

Your cleaner will eat anything you drop in the tank, even flake or pellets. If you have no fish, you can just drop a little food in the tank about every 3 days. That would be plenty.

yeah well he died... for some reason hes dead...i did everything right...(drip acclimated him) for an hour....and added the shrimp to the display tank...then, he didnt look to hot....i had a feling somthing was wrong, so i called eddies, they said let him be hes adapting to his surroundings( made sence) so about 10 mins ago, he was still in the same spot...only difference now he was dead....IM PISSED!!

I did have my lights on when i first put him in. However only for about 10 15 mins then badfish told me to keep them off so i did.....this sucks :!: :!:

Sorry for your loss.
drip acclimated him) for an hour
This may have been the problem, inverts need to be acclimated very slowly.... several hour. Before adding, check the temp, ph and the SG to make sure they match.

sorry to hear for you loss, dont let this change your outlook on things, everyone loses things from time to time. Are they gonna give you a refund? That sucks that its your first addition, and hes dead. How are all your parameters, i would not add anything unless your ammonia and nitrite are zero. Whats your salinity at?

Sorry about your loss. It happens to everyone sooner.

Just a question, in your sig it says 'nearing the end of cycle' Is that still true or have you just not updated. If you give some parameters it might help explain your loss a little easier. Inverts are a little more sensitive to amonia and trites.

Also if you do want another try at a shrimp, get a pistol/goby pair. You probably have enough sand in your tank for the pair to make tunnels. From what I've learned through experience and research is that acclimating symbiotic relationships usually makes the adjustment period a bit less stressful for the inverts.

edit: forgot to say. If you get another shrimp and it makes it through the adjustment period, don't worry if you rarely see it. Mine hides behind liverock all day and only comes out to eat. As long as its eating and molting, everything is good.

Back
Top Bottom