Cleaner Shrimp

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pacu Man

Aquarium Advice Activist
I recently setup a 20 gal SW tank and I've been suggested to get one of thoose cleaner or candycane shimp i think the store calls it, I know your suppost to wait like a month or so before introducing it to a newer tank, my question is: is this possible to do in a 20 gal?

Sure you can have a cleaner shrimp in a 20 gal.

Shrimp themselves produce almost 0 bioload so if you might want something else in there to prior to acutally cycle the tank.

In my 20 gal I have 5-7 shrimp.

The worst part is when they release their eggs it can do a number on your water quality. So if you get a pair or more shrimp its would be good to do frequent water changes expecially if you see them having egg sacs.

I see, so they don't need to go in after 1 month? I've had 1 clown in there for a bit. What about snails? I hear they clean up pretty nice, but I wouldn't consider them if the shrimp does a good enough job.

Snails are great for keeping algae off of your glass among other things. Be careful when introducing inverts to your tank --- do it as slowly as you can. You don't want to learn the hard way that acclimating inverts too fast can kill them.

I hear they clean up pretty nice, but I wouldn't consider them if the shrimp does a good enough job.

Cleaner shrimp are very effective in cleaning up detritus and poop off the gravel and take a lot of burden off you when cleaning the gravel. I recommend them for any tank that does not have fish that eat inverts (triggers, puffers, groupers etc.)

Back
Top Bottom