Cleaner Shrimp

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

StripesTheEel

Aquarium Advice Addict
So I've had my x2 cleaner shrimp for about 2 weeks now. About 3 days ago I found that one had moulted.

Im new to shrimp..well cleaners anyway.. just because they're rare here and are about $160 for a 2-3inch specimen..

So.. do they moult just for growing purposes.. Are pristine water conditions needed for moulting. Is there anything I can be doing to help the shrimp?

Thanks!

Usually shrimp will molt shortly after being introduced to a new tank. Good water conditions are needed for all inverts in general, but iodine is important in aiding in molting. Regular PWC's will take care of/replenish the iodine in your sytem. Iodine can quickly become toxic even if slightly overdosed so If you do decide to dose anything be sure to test for it first.
I don't feel so bad about the LFS's by me charging $25-35 anymore. HTH

I sometimes wish in the US. Everything SW is so much cheaper than here. The amount of money I've spent here, would rival some of the best tanks in the US. If only.. Yeah i have to go buy an iodine test kit. But yeah everything looks good. The cleaner shrimp have formed a symbiotic relationship with the zebra moray. Its very weird. I have some great shots of the shrimp cleaning the eel. Absolutely awesome to watch.

Thanks Michael

I have watched mine molt twice. $160 8O for a cleaner. I though I was being ripped off by payin $24. They are very cool though. When I clean my tank, sometimes mine will come over and clean my hand. Very wierd to feel. Mine likes to hide a lot, so I am always excited to watch him come out to "play". Good luck with yours Matt :D .

I dont feel ripped off.. SW stuff here in australia is just not so available here.. Majority fish and inverts come from places like the hawaiin islands and stuff.. no where near Australia!! :(

But on the other hand.. if i did live in the US.. i know if i spent the same money there I'd have the most awesomest tank ever..

Something to strive for..

In 7 years.. I'm gonna have a 10ft x 4ft by 3ft in wall tank.. Thats what I'm striving for..

But back to the thread.. my shrimp are very cool.. They havent cleaned me yet.. but the fish and especially eel love them!!!

Matt,
I wouldn't worry about an iodine test kit. waste of money IMO.
Just keep up with the water changes, they will be fine.

Being in Australia...Aren't there any local fish you have access to? And why so expensive in Aus.? You're surrounded by SW, plus Great Barrier Reef. That seems strange to me that it is so expensive there. I guess I figured wrong?!?! :?:

Back
Top Bottom