Cleaner Shrimp?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Choas

Aquarium Advice Activist
I went to my LFS to buy a peppermint shrimp she sold me a cleaner shrimp instead. I did not say a thing to her. I know theres a 12 dollar differents. How many of these (cleaner) could I have in a 55 gal reef tank?

How many do you want, there is no limit on shrimp they all seem to get along, at least mine always did. 2-3 would be a good number in a 55. JMO.
Got to love the LFS who don't know much :roll:

Yeah. I almost got a Mag 7 for $14 the other day at the LFS.

Should have just bit my lip and said thank you. I was just too honest and had to say something to the guy. I was doing a return and he tried to return a $110 part instead of a $40 part that was on the same receipt/return.

But. KARMA would have caught up with me. ;)

Peppermint shrimp like to have a few buddies to hangout with. I think 3 would be nice. I will be getting mine a friend soon hopefully.

Peppermint are "cleaner" shrimp but usually in the hobby 99% of people think the skunk cleaner when they hear cleaner shrimp.

I looked it up at Dr Fosters Web site and it is a skunk cleaner shrimp it matches the pic to a T. So About 3 Cool Thanks for all the help.

I have been getting this Brown Algea all over everything everyday. How can I get it under control? Please any help with that would be great.

Mine seems to get all over I have to clean the Glass ever 2 days. The Snails can't keep up with them.

Brown algae is normal for tanks under 6 months it will go away.

diatom algae and like said new tank issue. my tank is 3 years old and I clean the glass every 2-3 days so get used to it. :D

Why do you hate them? I only have one and he hides all day :( My peppermint shrimp are always running around though :D

When I feed my corals they come over and steal the food. Mine are very brave. If I stick my hand in the tank to clean etc. several jump on my hand even while I scrub the tank.

I wish mine was that brave :) I'm lucky to even catch a glimpse of him during the day. I can see why that would be frustrating. My peppermints are quick to get the food as well, it’s amazing how such a tiny creature can consume so much food!

My two shrimp just mess around (jokingly) with the Anemone. Tricking him to think he has caught something. I think they both just do it and sit back and laugh at the anemone.

Can you take footage of this happening with a digital camera, etc? That would be great to see.

My Cleaner comes out must of the time at night. He only comes out doing the day to clean the fish at night he walks on the Live rock.

I'll try to get some quick footage the next time they mess with him.

Back
Top Bottom