cleaner shrimp babies!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

phat742

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
i was looking in the tank tonight with all the lights off using a flashlight and i noticed in one of the corners about fifty miniature scarlet skunk cleaner shrimp. anyone ever seen any of these or know what to do with them? anyone ever heard of these shrimp spawning in the home aquarium?

Very cool. My skunk had eggs one day and none the next. I'd never seen hide nor hair of the by product. Good luck with them making it to maturity. I've heard it was very difficult, but the fact that you're seeing them has to mean that *something* is right in your system for them!

anyone ever heard of these shrimp spawning in the home aquarium?
It is quite common. These shrimp are hermaphrodites, so "dad" this time may be "mom" the next time they reproduce. The babies are released into the water column shortly after lights out, and usually completely gone by morning. It is very cool to see :wink:
anyone ever seen any of these or know what to do with them
Not much you can do. Raising them is very involved to say the least.

I've had mine throw babies four times now in a tank all to themselves and none have survived. The parents eat them. From what I've read, they are pretty impossible to rear to adulthood.

very cool. i've been seeing the babies for several nights now. i notice that when i shine the light on them, the parents get lots to eat. my wrasse was going to town on them too.

Back
Top Bottom