cleaner shrimp cleaning under my nails---cool!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

reefdude

Aquarium Advice Regular
i stuck my hand in my tank to move some things and my cleaner shrimp jumped on my hand and started cleaning under my nails. weird

It is the wierdest feeling.. Mine never clean under my nails but they do clean my skin.. I would be afraid of what might happen to them if they cleaned under nails..

James

This sounds funny but im sure some of you will admit to doing it.

When we have company come over one of the things that the wife insists I do is plung my arm into the tank so the cleaners can come out and inspect it. It feels quite strange having these shrimp crawling all over your hands and arms.

Lol Aaron you are Funny.. lol I just like to tell my company when they ocme over to grab my Carpet Anemone and tell me if its sticky.. lol Almost had my mother in-law do it until i stopped her... My wife admitted the other day to having the Clowns come over and nibble on her... She is still hesitant about the cleaners though.. lol Aaron does your wife get her hands cleaned by the cleaners too???

James

I havent seen her do it directly. Of course whos to say she ant downstairs playin in the tank when im not around. :mrgreen:

Did you guys see that one article where the divers would swim down and hold their breath, open mouth and let the lil shrimp clean their teeth! I saw a pic of it. Talk about a weird feeling.

Here is a link to the article I saw. The shrimp looks like a striped skunk shrimp I think.

http://www.billsbest.com/plshrimp.html

Jeanene's fire shrimp will RACE over to my hand when I put my hand in and then screech to a halt, eyeing my hand suspiciously. He has never jumped on my hand yet :( LOL

Whoa cool!! :eek: Are the shrimp really that friendly? I can't wait to get mine now!!! Cool article snap, beats heck out of going to the dentist.

lol

Yea but... anyone know how they eat? What if it's like flys? Flys vomit stomach acid on the food, let it digest and then suck it up through their strawlike mouth. What if them shrip are vomitting in your mouth? Not to mention that water is crawling with bacteria as we all well knowl. icky!

anyone know how they eat?

They eat what they can find in your tank. They love flake food, algae and go psycotic over frozen brine. Seriously feeding them is not an issue.

Re: lol

Pain Devine said:
What if them shrip are vomitting in your mouth? Not to mention that water is crawling with bacteria as we all well knowl. icky!

Shrimp do not digest their food externally unlike the disgusting housefly. Granted, shrimp eat yucky things but there is a lot more bacteria in your mouth than is on the little feet and claws of that shrimp. Moreover the shrimp just pick at things and place them in their mouth appendage thing and gobble it up.

If you're swimming in the ocean and you get a mouthful of water, you have just sucked in a hundred times the bacteria that a shrimp would have on it.

Give me cleaner shrimp flying around the picnic table, rather than houseflies ANY day. :D

LOL.... I had the same image... at a park, food on the table and about 15 peppermint shrimp swooping around

You think Nemo made the hobby popular.. Wait till the public sees the Aquarium Advice FLYING CLEANER SHRIMP!!!

Sorry I am a bit loopy sitting here at work with nothing to do 2 days before christmas....

Doan

My three year old son likes sticking his hand in our tank. He says it "tickles". I make him wash his hand afterward though. Not all shrimp seem to be this friendly. I had one before the one i have now and he would always hide when i was in the tank. The other day i was arranging corrals and my cleaner shrimp wouldn't get off my hand. I had a tiny scab on my wrist and he managed to pick it off. It can be fun at times as well as annoying...lol

You think Nemo made the hobby popular

Dude the French cleaner shrimp was cool in that movie. I like the part where they try to make the tank dirty and he goes "I shall resist to clean" or something like that.

Jaques the compulsive cleaner shrimp!

Someone must have known the personality of cleaner shrimps pretty well to develop that character. hehe

I think they did a lot of research for that whole movie with fish personalities. Top notch. I think they got the clowns down to a tee.

Back
Top Bottom