cleaner shrimp molting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

got bait?

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have a cleaner shrimp that molts about every two weeks, is this too much. I know they molt while growing, but could there be something else wrong? I have him in a 12 gal Nano with inverts only. I add strontium and iodine once a week, along with the other trace elements. I test for everything else but these two chemicals. Could something be iritating it, or is it just growing that fast. No other problems in tank.

In a 12 gal tank I would actually not use additives at all. Especially the two you are not testing for. Strontium is not needed really for anything except in very small amounts. Excesses much like the iodine can be poisonous. One reason the shrimp might be moulting more often is to rid itself of the abundance of impurities. The iodine is moreso gained through foods, not the water itself so the additions over and above that which regular water changes can provide will cause more problems.

Stop the extra additions and see the results. The shrimp could well be moulting due to growth but I would not risk further use in such a small volume of water.

Cheers
Steve

I've been adding Strontium and Iodine since I've had the tank going on(5mos.)
and had no problems. Only mushrooms, zoo's, polyps, and the usual cleaner crew. and never had anything die, except a turbo or two. Everything looks great. I do a 20% H2o change every two weeks and supliments weekly. Oh, I add calcium too.
I just didn't want to change a good thing. But, I could use the shrimp so I 'll give it a shot.
Thanks

I've been adding Strontium and Iodine since I've had the tank going on(5mos.)
I have a 55gal tank and never add anything but Kalk and occasionly some Caclium when the kalk can't bring it up to where I want it.. I have never and will never add Iodine or Strontium to my tank.. If you are doing bimonthly waterchanges expecially 20% then you shouldn't need anything else as the salt will provide everything that your tank needs.. Also I see nothing in your tank that even should really consume CA that fast except maybe coraline and snails.. Most of the additives are for people that do monthly waterchanges if they even do water changes at all...

HTH<
James

Back
Top Bottom