Cleaner shrimp molts?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MarkW19

Aquarium Advice Addict
2 of my shrimp (1 fire shrimp and 1 skunk cleaner) have just molted their skins, strangely in exactly the same place! There are a couple of legs and tenticles on each skin.

Is this a good or a bad sign?

Water parameters are good and very stable.

PS. I removed the skins not knowing what to do with them. Should I put them back in (I think they eat them or something??) or should I discard them?

That is a normal and just their way of growing. Sometimes I'll take the moltings out of the tank if it is easy to get to but I don't think it matters very much if you leave them there.

You can leave them in the tank. They will dissolve or be eaten. If you have already taken them out, discard them. Leave them in or take them out - it makes little difference.

OK, cool! At first I thought one of my shrimps had died! Funny that both of their skins were on top of each other though! The 3rd shrimp is yet to molt...

Molting should be every 3-4 weeks, is that right? And, I read that if they also molt legs/tenticles (as opposed to just the skin), then that's a bad sign?

Mine molt every 4-5 weeks, the exoskeleton contains tenticles, legs, etc. They seem fine to me.

Back
Top Bottom