Cleaner Shrimp not doing so good?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Richard

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello everyone, I just added my first cleaner shrimp to my 92 Gal. and I just found the shrimp upside down on the sand bottom. I have five fish, and some inverts. which are all doing fine. The shrimp was just fine last night doing his thing with on of my Tangs. The FS where I bought him told me they were pretty hearty and usually last a long time, yea right!
Today I added my weekly trace elements, and added one Gal. of saltwater because of evaporation. The SG is 1.020. Can anyone shed some light on this short lived shrimp? Thanks,

Are you sure the shrimp was dead, and you didn't find the byproduct of a molt?

Today I added my weekly trace elements, and added one Gal. of saltwater because of evaporation.

Evaporation should be replaced with FW, pure water is all that leaves the tank, as the water evaporates the SG goes up, you replace with FW to bring it back down. Are you sure of your SG reading of 1.020? IME mobile inverts like shrimp and snails are not particularly tolerant of quick SG changes or lowered SG.

First off, welcome to Aquarium Advice.

Well, there has been some discussion about this and I hear that they are very picky about salinity changes adn water quality. If you give us your water readings, we may be able to come down to why... I will chime in on the top off with saltwater. I would try to get the salinity up to about 1.024 at 80*. 1.020 is kind of low. The trace elements, what kind and how often do you put it in? I only top off with freshwater because salt doesn't eveporate out of the water near as much as pure water.

I will let someone else take a shot at it...

Back
Top Bottom