Cleaner shrimp prego?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Salty Dog

Aquarium Advice Regular
I just got a cleaner shrimp on Wednesday and it appears to be pregnant...I'm only guessing because it's got little egg-like things in the legs...are those eggs? What should I do if it is pregnant...I'll have 100 cleaner shrimp! 8O

Yep your correct. Its got eggs. Nothing extra needs to be done by you as the shrimp will probably be releasing the eggs at somepoint in the next two weeks.

Sadly its doubtful a single egg will survive in the aquarium enviorment. There are just way to many things that consiter the eggs a wonderful food source. Mainly fish and corals.

Well, that's okay for me. I didn't exactly want all those shrimp in my tank...how will she lay the eggs...in a bunch or scattered?

It's fascinating to watch. Mine did it around 11:00 PM. The tank was full of teensy shrimp floating around. The shrimp was in an upper corner busily fanning the eggs helping them to hatch. You'll know it's close because you can see eyes in the eggs and the eggs will change to a darker color. Keep a watch at night when this starts to happen and you will be rewarded. If you get more than one shrimp this will happen every 2 or 3 weeks.

do cleaner shrimps have to be enter in to a tank together? and if they are not will the kill each other? the only reason i ask is that i love mine and i would like to get a 2nd one.

ok i think i will. the guy at the lfs was telling some one that they had to be entered at the same time or the both will not live. that did not sound right because of the way mine acts in the tank. he is so happy and playful he could not kill any thing.

Back
Top Bottom