Cleaner Shrimp Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Salttanker

Aquarium Advice Addict
I know some of you have cleaner shrimp out there. I was thinking about getting a couple, but I am not sure with the list of fish I have would work or not. I know that cleaner shrimp clean predators such as eels and sharks in the wild, but how about in captivity? Will any of the fish I have in my profile make a meal out of the cleaner shrimp? I have been researching them and most of the comments I see are "don't put them in with predators." They don't specify what predators to look out for.

Thanks for your suggestions.

Mike

I suppose it would be a hit or miss with a cleaner shrimp. I have read that they like to clean some triggers as well. I guess I will keep researching. Thanks

Mike

I've read that it can work with some triggers if the shrimp is established in the tank before you add the fish. It says this in a pocket expert guide of marine fishes by Scott W Michael. HTH

Sorry Mike, but I agree with the rest. Your trigger will probably make a meal out of them.

I figured as much Kurt. I just thought I would ask and see if this would be possible. Thanks

Mike

It will also play a lot into whether or not you can keep the trigger's stomach happy... we have a niger in a 150g with tons of snails and hermits and he pays them no mind. We had a cleaner but it died before we added the trigger :?

Back
Top Bottom