Cleaner Shrimp Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

thor32766

Aquarium Advice Regular
Would i be ok to get a cleaner shrimp, with a yellow tang, sailfin, coral beauty, marron clown, copperband. I also have some emerald crabs. Let me know if anybody else has any of this with cleaner shrimp, like a pepermint or something.

thanks

i have a yellow tang, cleaner shrimp, pistol shrimp, peppermint shrimp. They all live happily together.

ive been thinking about adding a cleaner shrimp or 2, what do they eat? would they eat brine or mysis shrimp?

I actually had 2 peppermints killed by my pistol shrimp, and I thought to myself - Pistols are supposed to be harmless. Well I did more research and found that due to their poor eyesight, they always feel threatened. I actually observed one of the peppermints walk by his burrow and get "shot". The pistol is able to shoot a shockwave of microbubbles from his larg claw that reaches temperatures greater than or equal to the sun. It stunned the peppermint and dragged him into his cave.... Eventually I took the pistol shrimp out and now have 3 more peppermints. I love these little guys!

Get a Scarlet Cleaner shrimp. They are great! Have no problem with emeralds...they are extremely boisterous shrimp, not shy like many others so they run when scared, but once they get comfortable, they are out and about. They scavange, so you don't have to worry too much if you have live rock...I always supplemented with krill - i also had an anemone and fed my emeralds krill...

thanks for the info, how many would you recommend for a 55g?

I have 2 in my 72G and want to get more! I think they are a blast to have in the tank. The best part is when I have my hand in the tank to do any maintenance, the shrimp jump onto my hand and start cleaning me!!!

tripper

I have 2 cleaner, 2 peppermint, 1 blood shrimp with a yellow tang, clarkii, maroon, six line wrasse, emerald crab and no problem. The cleaners do a great job in cleaning the tang.

I did have a cleaner killed by an arrow crab before. But the arrow is gone now.

Is it an emerald mithrax crab that you have? If so--beware! I lost several fish to one before I finally figured out who was doing it. They're fine when they're small, but when they get bigger, they can harm small or slow fish, or even sleeping fish.

The cleaner shrimp, however, is an excellent addition.

**The only problem*** They Take the food away from the corals! They are doing the job but they really bother them and are relentless! It is hard to target feed as you try to chase them off...............
They have many benefits...

OK I have 2 Skunk Cleaners, 2 Fire Cleaners, a Tiger Pistol, 5 Peps, and 5 Emeraldsin my 55g. I dont have any problems. Its funny cuz the 2 Skunks and 2 Fires are always hanging out together.

I have 3 cleaner and 4 blood red shrimp. I should have got 5 cleaner and 2 blood red instead. the blood bed just doesnt have as much personality as the cleaners do. I have also noticed that the more shromp i have in the tank the more they come out of there hiding places. I think this is because the shrimps are territorial.

Back
Top Bottom