cleaner shrimp with eggs....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ntswift

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I've had this cleaner shrimp for about 3 months now. i just noticed the other day that it had what looks like a bunch of little green eggs under it's tail. Is this possible with out it actually having been in a tank with another shrimp for several months? If so should i take it out of the tank and quar. it to let it drop its eggs? TIA

I don't have experience with cleaner shrimp eggs but unless you are set up feed them after hatching, they will not survive. I don't know what the success rate on cleaner shrimp survival is though. I would think it would be really low.

If they hatch in the main tank, they will be eaten by the fish. Thye are a good food source for the fish.

From what I've read, it's nearly impossible to raise cleaner shrimp babies. Mine have babies regularly. I attempted to rear them twice and failed. Everything I've read is tha they do pretty well while small and feeding on plankton, it's after a few molts that they usually die. Mine never got that far. :? The fish really enjoy the occassional treat when the babies are released.

I agree with fluff. Mine have had them a couple of time but I never see anything from it.

so it is possible to reproduce with out another shrimp there to fertilize the eggs? She already droped them in my tank somewhere. so i guess the scooter blenny and wrasse will have a good meal...

Back
Top Bottom