Cleaner Shrinp?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jake337

Aquarium Advice FINatic
My question is why do these shrimp cost so much? A little one cost like 20 at my lfs. Is it because they "clean" fish and stuff? What makes them different from a $7 peppermint shrimp?

More personality, they come out in the open a lot. Put your hand in the tank and they'll jump on it and start cleaning you. They do clean fish and they have a much higher chance to do so than a peppermint. I love mine, he's great. Be thankful you don't live in Australia, they cost $140 minimum.

Pryzz said:
More personality, they come out in the open a lot. Put your hand in the tank and they'll jump on it and start cleaning you. They do clean fish and they have a much higher chance to do so than a peppermint. I love mine, he's great. Be thankful you don't live in Australia, they cost $140 minimum.

Holy crap! $140 just for a Shrimp? Lol I would not be in the hobby if I lived there. Yeah I want one but not so sure.

It's a great "investment"(most livestock are more than this). I have one and he can be the most interesting to watch. At first it will hide, but it will get accustomed to it's environment and will try cleaning any fish that comes close. Great CUC member too b/c if he says any food on the floor it's his and if he doesn't get it my nassarius snails do! They have great personality and I love showing people what happens when I put my hand in front of him! :lol:

They are worth every penny. I waited a few months until they went on sale but when they did I bought 3 and LOVE em :)

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20121026_221445.jpg
    ForumRunner_20121026_221445.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 93
They can coexist peacefully and there shouldn't be a huge problem with them both eating, although I think the cleaner would be more bold...if he gets a chance he'll steal food from fish or coral (not in an aggressive way).

Back
Top Bottom