Cleaner wrasse

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mr. D

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have been thinking of getting one as a natural disease fighter but just as a precaution. All of my fish are very healthy as far as I can tell. Plus I like the was they look even though I hear most don't

bettaowner said:
Cleaner wrasses are hard to keep. Cleaner shrimp are better.

Agreed. I've tried on two separate occasions to get a cleaner wrasse to survive and both times they'd live for like a week than die. Cleaner shrimp are much better. Plus their personalities can't be beat.

+1 Cleaner Shrimp

It's my understanding that the Wrasse only eats parasites. So, once it has consumed the parasites in the tank, it will starve to death.

If you like the look, the Neon Goby looks almost identical to the Cleaner Wrasse. I have heard the Neon Goby eats parasites as well but I am not sure.

Minkota said:
+1 Cleaner Shrimp

It's my understanding that the Wrasse only eats parasites. So, once it has consumed the parasites in the tank, it will starve to death.

If you like the look, the Neon Goby looks almost identical to the Cleaner Wrasse. I have heard the Neon Goby eats parasites as well but I am not sure.

I've kept a cleaner wrasse for over 4 years. Now, having said that, I agree. Cleaner shrimp are a much better choice. It was insanely difficult to keep the wrasse eating during the first few months. Constantly hatching live brine shrimp, transferring him slowly over to frozen by getting him to eat live shrimp from my hand and slowly mixing in the frozen, soaking all his food in fish vitamins, then ultimately getting him to eat prepared foods soaked in vitamins and STILL having to feed him multiple times a day.

I know what it takes to give cleaner wrasses a chance at acclimating to a tank. It was the best, coolest, and friendliest fish I've ever had, but from now on, it's cleaner shrimp for me. They're a much better option. Infinitely better... and still way cool.

Okay, I see your point. I can't have a cleaner shrimp though because my wrasse may eat it

I've had my cleaner shrimp for 3 months now he picks off the fish and eats frozen brine from day one. I might of been lucky and got a good one maybe he is really cool I'd give one a go if you like the idea of having one

I picked up a pair of cleaner shrimp and it was instant that the fish knew what they were. They came and lined up to be cleaned like it was some kind of fish wash. It was really cool to watch.

fadetoblack06 said:
I picked up a pair of cleaner shrimp and it was instant that the fish knew what they were. They came and lined up to be cleaned like it was some kind of fish wash. It was really cool to watch.

Yeah, I think it's so cool watching mine clean fish. Funny!!

Cleaner wrasses eat the slime on fish too. Neon gobies are your best option.

Thank you all for your input.. I think I will hold off on this fish until I am able to put together a much larger system

Back
Top Bottom