Cleaner Wrasse?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jonathan G.

Aquarium Advice Freak
Just curious as to if anyone here has or has tried to keep a cleaner wrasse. I here they are pretty hard to keep in captivity but i really like the little fish.

They do well in a FO tank that is stock with a lot of fish. I have not seen any one have luck with a Reef tank and a cleaner wrasse. I would love to have one though.

I had one that i bought after a year of keeping my aquarium but he died. Another year later i bought another one and he has been doing great for a few months now. They need very very very well established aquariums from my experience and do not do well with sudden changes. 1+ year aquariums should be good.

In addition to whats been said it is true they are tough, an i believe their natrual life span isnt to long, maybe a few years, anyway many people would argue that they best be left in the ocean

I have seven, one in each of my systems.
These ones are from Sri Lanka and they do quite well, even eating flake food as well as any meaty food I put in the tank.
Their favorite food is beef heart, ground up fine about the size of parasites.

I have had mine now for about 5 months, living great in my reef tank. I have a blue tang, a yellow tang, and a clown. He even eats the pellets and blood worms I feed the rest of the fish. In my opinion, a cleaner wrasse would be a great compliment to your tank. They not only look cool, but they help keep parasites from being passed around your tank. HTH

They need very very very well established aquariums
I had one when my tank was about 5 months it died in a week, a year later I bought another one and its been in my reef tank for about a month and doing well...just today when moving my rocks around, it started cleaning my hand! 8O like some cleaner shrimps tend to do. I thinking of getting another

I have seven, one in each of my systems.
These ones are from Sri Lanka and they do quite well, even eating flake food as well as any meaty food I put in the tank.
Their favorite food is beef heart, ground up fine about the size of parasites
:D I saw that on your website and got inspired to get another, thanks for the info!

Why are they on the "do not buy" list? There must be MANY more bad endings than happy ones for this fish to be on the "not recommended list". I guess the research in this hobby never ends........

Back
Top Bottom