Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-09-2007, 04:32 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

I've never heard anything about them not being reef safe, only they were hard to feed. If it's accepting mysis, it may be worth investing in. You could then soak it in some Selco, etc for added nutrients. Sounds like it's off to a good start.

Old 04-09-2007, 04:50 PM   #12
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

I`ve never had any luck with them I have had three of them and they never made it past 3 or 4 months. I had one of my LFS said he wont see them because they wont live too long in the aquarium. Just what I heard.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 06:01 PM   #13
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
Quote:
Originally Posted by melosu58
I`ve never had any luck with them I have had three of them and they never made it past 3 or 4 months. I had one of my LFS said he wont see them because they wont live too long in the aquarium. Just what I heard.
Hmmm, Mike, were any of them eating frozen?
MT I soak all my food in zoe/selcon and garlic, but thanks for the suggestion.

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 06:57 PM   #14
JM
Aquarium Advice Freak

Definitely a fish that belongs in the ocean. There are just some fish that us humans haven't figured out yet and i think this is one. I have heard that even if they do eat they will eventually die of malnutrition anyway because we cannot provide them with their natural diet. Very similar to the problem with Moorish Idols, we just don't know enough about their diets to keep them alive long term.
Old 04-09-2007, 07:17 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

JM, that is what I was afraid of. I take back my earlier post then, and I'll continue to avoid them. FWIW I also just read they have a profound effect on reefs when removed. That along w/ their low success rates, has stopped some people from collecting/selling them.
Old 04-09-2007, 08:23 PM   #16
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

Yes Scott I was feeding them frozen brine which I know isnt the best but they were eating.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

View my tank

Old 04-09-2007, 09:37 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Activist

Melosu was yours this varety cleaner or the large golden? I will be surprised if mine starves because eats every frozin I have. I have heard these smaller varities are easier then the larger. I actually caight boh in Hawaii(they are easy since they are fearless}, but I let the larger golden go, becuase they sound much more difficult to keep fed.
Old 04-09-2007, 10:26 PM   #18
JM
Aquarium Advice Freak

The fact that they feed on a variety of frozen food items means nothing. Their primary diet in the wild is parasites off of other fish. They can get nowhere near enough natural food off of the fish in your tank. These fish clean constantly in the wild to get the nutrition they need and there is simply not enough fish in anyones tank to fullfill this requirement.

Here is a small peice of text from a website i found that has some info about them.
Quote:
Very difficult. Though reef safe and peaceful the Bluestreak Cleaner Wrasse is only for advanced to expert aquarists. Out of all the Labroides this cleaner has the best survivability record, still many will last only a couple of weeks to a month before dying from malnutrition even if they are feeding on prepared foods.
Unlike 'facultative' cleaners such as cleaner gobies and cleaner shrimp, cleaner wrasses are 'obligate' feeders. Facultative cleaners engage in removing parasites from other fish but this in not their primary diet. For 'obligate' cleaners such as these wrasses, the cleaning activity provides them with their primary source of food. Most of the Labroides will accept prepared foods, but still starve due to malnutrition.
I know it says for advanced and expert keepers, but for the most part that means good luck keeping it alive.
Old 04-09-2007, 10:46 PM   #19
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

Yes mine was like yours. Neon blue and dark blue. I call it the common Cleaner wrasse.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

View my tank

Old 04-13-2007, 11:25 AM   #20
Aquarium Advice FINatic

The Cleaner Wrasse is one that is best left on the natural coral reef. We are really hitting mother nature with a double wammy when we buy these guys. 1st thier survival rate in the home aquarium is very, very dismal, probably one of the worst survival rates of any fish other then a Moorish Idol. 2nd when we buy these fish we are only encouraging aquarium shops to continue ordering them thus encouraging developing nations to continue taking them off the reef.

Finally these fish are responsible for cleaning hundreds if not thousands of natural reef fishes when they are at home in their enviroment. When we remove them it may give parasites a chance to gain a foothold on the natural coral reef.

Tags
clean, cleaner, wrasse

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com