Cleaner Wrasse Question...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SoylentGrundy

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hello all!
Was wondering about cleaner wrasses...Do they just not thrive at all unless there are a lot of other fish present for them to groom off of? I saw some neat looking young ones but have heard that they need a big tank w/ lots of playmates...Any thoughts?...I've only got a 30 gal w/ 2 clowns and lots of inverts...

I've read opinions that suggest folks don't buy'm in order to keep'm in the ocean. I've also read that some don't fare well in captivity for a couple of reasons. One being that if there isn't sufficient stuff for'm to pick off their tankmates, they can starve. Also, that when tank mates no longer feel they need cleaning, the wrasse becomes a nuisance to them and can be attacked. Never had one I must say, but I wouldn't get one either.

If you do, I'd think you want to see them eat regular fish food at the LFS.

I opted for the neon blue goby instead. Its a cleaner too. Maybe a mated pair can keep everybody groomed instead of the wrasse. Others may weigh in, but IMO, (not from firsthand experience of course). I'd stay away from it.

I acquired a cleaner wrasse from a friend that was tearing down his tank. It has lived quite content in my 30 gallon. It also eats like a pig, anything I toss in the tank. It is quite hyperactive and I can see where a bigger tank would suit it, but frankly, i cannot see my lionfish or eels leaving it alone.

Back
Top Bottom