Cleaner Wrasse survivablity?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

IAmDaryl

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
While in the LFS I purchases a Cleaner Wrasse. Once home I research the fish on the web and found that it is a difficult fish to keep.

I usually do not make purchases on a whim and was surprised to find that the fish has problems with survivablity.

My 75g w/30g sump/refug has been up a running for over a year.

Does anyone have any suggestion for keeping this fish or what has been your experience.

Thanx for your help.

If tou are talking about the cleaner wrasse that is blue, black and white then yes they are very difficult to keep. I`ve never been able to keep one more than 4 or 5 months. I dont know of anyone else that has either. IMO it`s one of those fish that should be left in the ocean.

Yes, that is the wrasse I have.

Perhaps you're right about leaving it in alone. I'll let you know how it goes for me. The Wrasse disappeared for a couple of days...I thought it was a gonner.

I've never had any luck with them either. Great concept though, to have a fish that will eat parasites off of other fish. Someone told me (I question the reliability though) is that the survivability can depend on if you have a lot of fish in your tank. The more fish, (more possible food) the longer the life of the fish. I'm not sure what else you have in your tank but I've gone with cleaner shrimp ever since my last cleaner wrasse.

The one I had went 6 months then did itself in by carpetsurfing. I have since made a netting cover for my tank.

Well m no expert but as long as you have a large tank with plenty of large bodied fish you should be fine. The blue streak cleaner wrasse or labroides dimidiatus is the better of the species. Can be weaned into taking standard aquarium fare. But its better left in the sea. Does not do well long term and dies of metabolic problems within a yr or so in captivity. I have one which has been doing fine for the last five months. Feeds even on the sea weed strip meant for the yellow tang. Loves flakes and brine shrimp.

My cleaner was eating "Reef Chile" by BRS and it jumped ship. Desided to go waterless. That was to bad, it's a nice fish and to date the only fish I ever had to jump out of my tank. Just looked at your location. How's the weather in India this time of the year?

Hi thincat, its too cold ! And oh yeah add heavy rain to that ! The weather change was so sudden and drastic that most of my fish and my frens' came down with crypt ! Where ru from ? And hows da weather der ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Right now I am in Hawaii for the winter. It's ~79 degrees and 9:30 am. Looks like it's going to be a cold "burr" day today.....hahaha lol

It was 0 degrees here in nebraska when I got to work today...yea I had to work today...great-fun:mad:

I have noticed that my wrasse is feeding on the mysis but he's very picky. I'm really not sure how he's gonna do. My Sixline Wrasse is a little pig...almost looks pregnant.

Back
Top Bottom