Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-25-2015, 03:41 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Cleaning Algae

Stupid I know but wanted to be safe, is it ok to use a regular razor blade to get algae off of the tank glass when a regular scraper won't do it?

Just wanting to be safe lol.

"The sea was the cradle of primordial life, from which the roots of our own existence sprouted. "
DaveMc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 03:51 PM   #2
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

Yep. I actually used one for the first time last night, but it is a fine practice. Just make sure it is a new one every time so you don't scratch the glass.

Sniperhank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 03:59 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniperhank View Post
Yep. I actually used one for the first time last night, but it is a fine practice. Just make sure it is a new one every time so you don't scratch the glass.
Thanks Sniper I thought it would be ok but wold rather use some precaution first

"The sea was the cradle of primordial life, from which the roots of our own existence sprouted. "
Old 04-25-2015, 11:07 PM   #4
Macro Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Hey Dave long time no see
I hated the regular scrapers they sold at pet store they just didn't do the job scraping glass I put 1 big scratch in my 90g as the blade was just flat , just glad it was on the very side of the front glass ,
I went to home depot and bought a professional glass scraper cost me $45. but worth every penny , the handle is 24 inches long and it holds 3 inch stainless razor blades you can also add a extension if needed
it takes off algae real easy even takes off the Coraline build up replacement blades aren't cheap either but I love this thing , you just need to be careful by all the silicone seals as it will cut right through them
this thing makes my life so much easier cleaning glass , I used to use the cleaner magnets but I couldn't stand the streaks on the glass
Old 04-25-2015, 11:27 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by 54seaweed View Post
Hey Dave long time no see
I hated the regular scrapers they sold at pet store they just didn't do the job scraping glass I put 1 big scratch in my 90g as the blade was just flat , just glad it was on the very side of the front glass ,
I went to home depot and bought a professional glass scraper cost me $45. but worth every penny , the handle is 24 inches long and it holds 3 inch stainless razor blades you can also add a extension if needed
it takes off algae real easy even takes off the Coraline build up replacement blades aren't cheap either but I love this thing , you just need to be careful by all the silicone seals as it will cut right through them
this thing makes my life so much easier cleaning glass , I used to use the cleaner magnets but I couldn't stand the streaks on the glass
Hey seaweed Yes long time no see haha.

I have to say I am so amazed at the difference. I used a blade to clean mine today during maintenance and WOW....huge difference. And my lawnmower blenny and sailfin tang ha a good time gobbling up the floating pieces lol.

The one I bought works good if it is just a thin film on the glass, but the thinker and harder buildup areas, it just didn't do any good for. I like the magnet one I have for the thin film, keeps my hands out of the water and afterwards I can just use a little glass cleaner and paper towel to get rid of the streaks on the outside.

Tags
algae, clean, cleaning

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com