Cleaning algea on back glass

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PurplePolyp

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have two different kinds of algae growing on my back glass. One of them is red slime. I know because I've been fighting it for about 3 weeks now. It's almost gone. The fight has been good and we are winning. Now that I'm almost done with the red slime, I have a bright green algae forming all around my glass. Mainly on the back because the front and sides get cleaned often. What's the best way to clean this back glass? And what kind of algae is this green stuff? My guess is green hair or whatever cause that's what it looks like? Anyway, how do I clean it?

I call it green slime algae and if left alone will grow a green filament algae. My snails knock this stuff down pretty fast and almost any algae eater will peck it off the glass.

Yeah, I let it grow on the sides and keep it off the front and back. It gives the tang and snails something to do. Some of the shapes that their mouths peck in it are quite interesting.

I have a Chevron that has the most purpose built-in tool for a mouth that I have ever seen. Very cool. He's actually swimming around right now with oyster stuck to the tiny teeth that line his mouth. Teaches him a lesson. Greedy tangs.

I had a ton growing on the back and sides of my glass. I used a credit card to scrape all the remains and then did a big wc. Havent seen any red slime but I still get the green algae...

I suctioned a little of it out with a 20% change. It isn't getting all over my rock yet. I'll just keep doing what I'm doing.

Back
Top Bottom