Cleaning and breaking down large tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kphilly2017

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey all,

So I have a post already that really explains why I’m cleaning and breaking down a large tank. Basically I have a large aquarium that I haven’t had a chance to setup. I will get the exact dimensions here soon, however they may not be needed for this particular post. I am a current college student, who is getting his first BA, then a second one, and then hopefully going to Vet School. (My University’s Vet school is highly competitive so I will be in school for quite some time, haha.) Anyhow, I’m moving into another apartment in July, and I will be on the ground floor. My tank is definitely going with me.

I was just wondering if anyone has any advice on getting the tank cleaned up and any methods to make the move more safe for the tank, and just overall easier.

The tank did have salt water but it sat for at least a year or so. So there is biofilm and probably left over salt creep in it. It contains about equal to or less than 100 pounds of rock, that is also covered in biofilm. There is about a 2-3” sand-bed. In the main tank and the the sump.

My goal for this move is to be efficient and proactive. So if there are ways to clean it and say package things such as the sand or the rock, I will do them ahead of time. I already have a return pump, a wavebox, heaters, Ro/DI unit, filter socks, sump (created my own out of 55 gallon tank). I’m sourcing the other things that I need, and I can hopefully have them purchased and delivered before I move. That way, on the first day I move I can bring the tank into my room and set it up immediately, and begin my cycle. I would rather work my room around the tank, and my tank around the room. I’m designing and building a more efficient stand as well, with a ventilated canopy.

I just want to make it a smooth process, and one that doesn’t stress me out to much. That’s why I’m trying to be proactive now. Also I used pool filter sand from Home Depot, so if anyone thinks that it’s a better idea to just trash it and get more bags then that’s a possibility.

I don’t mean to spam, but this is a pretty huge concern for me. I didn’t know exactly where I should have posted this either, and I didn’t want it to get missed on my other post.

I appreciate any advice, tips, or helps! Without this community, I may not have discovered this hobby! Thank you!

Saw you mentioned SW, but wondered if there would still be useful information in this article.

Frequent advice is to buy new substrate because of build up over time in older substrate. I feel like you could really clean it up good and still use it. You could always test the water parameters from substrate in water over a couple weeks after cleaning to make sure it is good to go.

Moving Your Fresh Water Aquarium - Aquarium Advice

Powerwasher is another idea.

And I will say that I used peroxide and water on SW rocks that were basically green black brown and they turned white again.

Not sure how many gallons it would take for that many rocks but, throwing it out there. Soaked in clean FW and prime after rinsing off. Used later. Mine was about a quart size amount of rocks in a gallon pitcher. (leftovers from a nano tank) Same principle, just different quantity.

Great idea! I'm hoping the cleaning process goes more smoothly than the physical move. I thought of something, that I thought I would post to get some constructive feedback about. I was thinking possible constructing something out of wood, that the tank could sit on top off and be pushed. That way it is more stable and not as hard to carry. I would level it to be even with the tailgate of my truck. Somehow I would cut or make something that would allow an opening under the tank for us to fit our fingers. It may cause for paying for extra materials and taking more time to design something, but at least we won't run the risk of dropping it.

Great idea! I'm hoping the cleaning process goes more smoothly than the physical move. I thought of something, that I thought I would post to get some constructive feedback about. I was thinking possible constructing something out of wood, that the tank could sit on top off and be pushed. That way it is more stable and not as hard to carry. I would level it to be even with the tailgate of my truck. Somehow I would cut or make something that would allow an opening under the tank for us to fit our fingers. It may cause for paying for extra materials and taking more time to design something, but at least we won't run the risk of dropping it.
Here's an idea that worked like a charm for me on a 125g...........

IMT 10" Vacuum Suction Cup Glass Lifter with Handle, Powerful Heavy Duty Vacuum Lifter for Granite & Glass Lifting Window Replacement, 200lbs Load Capacity https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XYN869S/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_wbJCCb3J3VP8N

I am definitely going to check out all of these ideas! Thank you for replies and the link! That crate idea however, is standing out me. Maybe do something such as bubble wrap around the tank or wrap it in moving blankets. Then frame it up.

Something else that has crossed my mind a lot is Aquaculture. I really want to get creative, but unfortunately at times I lack this ability. I want to efficiently utilize my space in order to get the most out of my surface area. Eventually, once things prove to be stable, I will be hopefully introducing a mat anemone. Find those things really fascinating.

Bubble wrap on the bottom would be popped likely due to the weight. On the bottom, though a foam egg crate like for a bed, or a few cheap thin pillows.

You would want them to be sure to be similar size and not too plush as the twisting allowed by different sizes or too fluffy would allow twisting. Which is not what you want!!!

I know when they ship large glass tanks they pretty much make a box it sits in out of 2x4's and plywood.

Trip to the local Restore if your area has one!!! Or free pallet(s). CL postings for them all the time using strong ones of course could even make your box out of free whole (or modified) pallets

I’m glad you mentioned that, because we have a lot of leftover pallets at the barn where I work!

Back
Top Bottom