Cleaning Crew?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

roka64

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hello, my tank specs are under "my info". I've had my tank up and running (post-cycle) for two months. I am looking for suggestions on a cleaning crew. I will be changing out my CC for sand (I already have 20LBS of LS) and will add them after that.
1. How long after I change my CC should I wait (i'm doing 50% at a time)
I know there are quite a few online stores that have these cleaning crews.
2. liveaquaria.com has Algae Attack Pack and Detritus Attack Pack (should I get both?)
3. Is it cheaper to buy in a pack or single? I would like a crab or two, but those don't seem to come in any packages.
4. Should I buy the crabs separate?
5. Anyone have great experience and variety on any online store, they could recommend?

Thanks

1. Just test your water and make sure you don't have a mini-cycle going on, and give it a week.
2. Algae Attack Pack is good. I'm leery about the sand sifting star and cucumber in the detritus pack. The sand sifting star will majorly cut down on your pod population, the cucumber is beneficial, but if he gets very scared or dies, he can release alot of toxins into the water. I'd rather see you find a "detrivore kit" somewhere with lots of smaller sand stirrers. They will break down waste, but be too small to eat up all your pods, and their young will also serve as pods.
3. If the pack has what you want, it's usually cheaper to buy the pack. Some places offer the pack with shipping included, so consider that as well.
4. I'm not sure what kind of crabs you want, proclain or emerald mithrax might benifit from a more mature aquarium, so you might wait on them. and get them seperate. Make sure any crabs you pick up are compatible with the fish you want later. If the crabs are included in a pack, might as well get that.
5. You've already found liveaquaria, http://www.etropicals.com is a close cousin with free shipping, www.saltwaterfish.com has a few packages, www.tampabaysaltwater.com has good individual prices. I have not personally ordered from any of these, but I've heard good things.

Cool, thanks! I thought liveaquaria and etropical were the same...guess not. I checked saltwaterfish.com but their site is kind of a pain to browse. I'll start w/the algae pack and add crabs later. My two urchins seem to be eating machines, they both are out all day! I was going to go w/a puffer but will wait until I buy my new house in a few years, since I'm planning on moving, and get a puffer there and have a custom tank and two other species specific tanks.

Thanks for the advice!

Hi I have a 75 gallon new tank. I am 2-weeks into the cycle and have 45lbs live rock with 3 damsels. If or when should I add some cleaner crew livestock. Also I do see some brown algae starting on my live rock. Is this normal. thanks

A) It is inadvisable to put any animals into the aquarium before the cycle is completed. The cycle can be started with pinches of fish food, or other ammonia sources, and does not require the introduction of fish. I refuse to lecture at length about what has already occured, read this article if you care to learn more about it.

B) Do you have ammonia, nitrite and nitrate test kits? Since you're cycling with fish, you need to keep up with the water changes to keep ammonia and nitrite below toxic levels.

C) After your cycle is complete, then wait one more week and add your cleanup crew. It is normal to have lots of algae growing in a new aquarium, that's what the cleanup crew is for. After your water chemistry stabilizes, you should be able to keep the algae better in check.

Thanks for your help (dskidmore). The aquatics store I went to advised me to start the tank with damsels. I am new at this so I took their advice. What kind of cleaning crew do you suggest? I do have a test kit that I use. So far I have not seen any big changes in the level.
Thanks

just to add... etropicals has a "build our own" clean up crew thing, but it has to reach $60 or above, shipping is included in the price of each animal though.....

Could you post the results of your test kits?

The basis of the cleaner crew is hermit crabs and snails. The exact species isn't so important. Many of the prebuilt kits also come with other types of crabs and shrimp, that can be fun. Having a cleaner shrimp may reduce the chances of your fish getting ick. (The cleaner shrimp will eat parasites off the fish if he's hungry enough.) I'd shy away from cleaner crew packs with sand sifting stars or cucumbers. The sand sifters will depelete your pod supply, and the cucumber can become toxic if he is frightened or dies.

I noticed, the cleaning crews have, what seems to me, a heck of a lot of critters....I am talking about 50-70+ critters...Is this overkill and will they die off once they clean. Also, should I buy the extra shells so they can move when they grow?

Thanks

1 critter per gallon is not unreasonable for a cleanup crew.

There will be some attrition as hermit crabs will fight each other and the snails.

Yes buy the extra shells, this will reduce the hermit crab agression if they can easily find an empty shell the right size.

Cool, I'll post my pic of the pincushion carrying around my hydrometer, this weekend! Thanks for the advice!

test results

My test results.

PH is 8.0
ammonia is still around 0
nitrite is around 0
I thought after 3 weeks now I would start seeing some spikes.

I have a question about ive rock. I have a 75-gallon tank with about 45lbs L/R in it. Right now my tank is cycling. Is this enough? Should I add more and when? thanks

Well-cured live rock can buffer the effect of the cycle, you might not see a spike, but it is still advisable to wait several weeks before adding fish. How often have you been testing? Is it possible the spike passed between tests?

If you want to build a reef tank, 1-2 lbs of live rock per gallon is not unreasonable. Most people aim for a large rock wall in the middle of the tank, stretching nearly up to the water line. For fish only, 45 lbs is fine, it's up to your own tates as far as what looks good.

If you're going to add more rock, sooner is better than later. If the rock is not well cured, it will cause an ammonia spike, so why cycle the tank twice? If you add the rock after your fish, and are worried about another ammonia spike, you can either pre-cure it in a diffrent container, or add just a single rock at a time to lessen the size of the ammonia spike.

So, what is a good LR to galloon ratio for FOWLR? I currently have 43LBs for my 55, but was thinking of adding about 30-40 more Lbs...

If your FOWLR has a canister, wet-dry or other conventional biological filter, the live rock is mostly decorative, and provides hiding spaces for the fish. If you are using live rock for your biological filtration, you want to tend more towards the reef end of the scale.

Ahh, cool, I have a canister, but love LR, here are my critters:
Tank
55 Gallon
304 Fluvial Canister
2 Yellow Tail Damsels
2 3 Stripped Damsels
1 Blue Devil Damsel
1 Yellow stripped Maroon Clown Fish
1 pencil and pincushion urchins
1 Blood Red Fire Shrimp
1 Cleaner Shrimp
1 Royal Gramma

I will wait a few more weeks and then add my cleaning crew. After that what
fish would you suggest?

jd7128 said:
I will wait a few more weeks and then add my cleaning crew. After that what
fish would you suggest?
That is a very open ended question. Do you want to stick with the damsels? They can be mean to more passive fish, so you might want to either get more types of damsels, or see if you can catch them and return them to the LFS before getting other fish.

I suggest you peruse an online catelog (such as www.liveaquaria.com) for fish that appeal to you. When you have a wish list, we can talk about what combinations might work well in your aquarium.
Think about:
The care level of the fish.
How big will he get at his full size?
Do I want very few large fish, or more small fish?
Agressive or community?
Colorful, or interesing behaviors?
Compatibility of selected fish.

Back
Top Bottom