Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-10-2004, 11:02 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Cleaning crew plans

Now that I have a peaceful tank, and somewhat of an inkling of what I'm doing I'm going to be assemblying a cleaning crew to help me out. Here's my ideas, and if you have any suggestions go ahead and add them. I probably won't start this until after I get the rest of my Christmas shopping done.

Turbo snails (3)
Sand Shifter stars (2)
Chocolate Chip stars (3)
Astrea snails (2)

I was looking at shrimp as well, but I'm not sure on putting iodine into my tank. Mainly I'm looking for coral scavengers, and algae eaters. This will be for the tank listed below.

Maiden's Hair, Calerpa, and Red Kelp macro algae.
X the Outsider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2004, 11:04 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

dont think it a good idea to have stars in that size tank let alone 5

Old 12-10-2004, 11:11 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I would skip the stars also.
Astraea's, ceriths and nassarius are my favorite snails.
Mexican red tip hermits do not bother anything and are good scavengers.
If you do regular water changes you should not need iodine supplementation for your shrimp. But be aware that cleaner shrimp can annoy the heck out of corals, especially when trying to feed them.
46g SW, 65 lbs Fiji LR, 4" Aragamax DSB, Coralife 2X96w CF, CPR Bakpak II, CPR Aquafuge 12 w/ 2x9 Coralife Mini Aqualight, 4 Maxijet 600's, PCI 200W Titanium Heater, 2 Blue Green Chromis, 1 Gold Bar Maroon Clown, 1 Purple-Stripe Dottyback, Finger Leather, Trumpets, Rose Coral Open-Brain, Pagoda Cup, Xenia, Star Polyps, Yellow Polyps, Various Mushrooms, Toadstool Leather, 12 Astraea, 10 Nassarius, 4 Bumble Bee, 6 Cerith Snails, 12 Red Tip Hermits.
phases99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2004, 11:13 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

I agree. Way too many stars in a 29. I woul skip the CC stars all together. They have a tendency to toppel rock work and eat corals (if you plan to add tem). You may be able to get by with one sand sifting star in a 29 gal but they can get pretty big. I only have one sand sifting in my 72 gal. (along with several tiny britles that came in on LR but I do not count them). Stick with the snails and crabs.
Old 12-10-2004, 11:20 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

I'll skip the stars. I might think about the sand sifter, but I'll check the size first.

I do thirty percent water changes every two weeks unless needed sooner. I did one earlier this week because of the LR I added. I don't plan on putting any coral in my tank. I don't want to get into corals until I get a bigger tank. Thanks for the advice.

Old 12-10-2004, 11:24 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to quarryshark
The sand sifters would starve to death. They live on pods, worms and such and a 29 just could not supply enough. How about a small serpent?
Old 12-10-2004, 11:31 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

I was reading that sand sifters burrow into your substrate, and eat left over food. Maybe I read wrong, but I thought it was on marine depot or live aqauria.

Old 12-10-2004, 11:34 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to quarryshark
well I have a 210 and had 2 of them. Now I only have one, the other did OK for a while, but I don't think there was enough to support both. My pod population was seriously reduced too. its building up, but its taking a while.
Old 12-11-2004, 11:39 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to aquafreak Send a message via MSN to aquafreak Send a message via Yahoo to aquafreak
correct me if wrong but some hermits should help keep the algae (you don't want) down in various places and they are quite hardy.
Old 12-11-2004, 11:56 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquafreak
correct me if wrong but some hermits should help keep the algae (you don't want) down in various places and they are quite hardy.
You are correct. I like the red tip Hermits because they haven't harmed any snails and supposedly eat Cyano too.

46g SW, 65 lbs Fiji LR, 4" Aragamax DSB, Coralife 2X96w CF, CPR Bakpak II, CPR Aquafuge 12 w/ 2x9 Coralife Mini Aqualight, 4 Maxijet 600's, PCI 200W Titanium Heater, 2 Blue Green Chromis, 1 Gold Bar Maroon Clown, 1 Purple-Stripe Dottyback, Finger Leather, Trumpets, Rose Coral Open-Brain, Pagoda Cup, Xenia, Star Polyps, Yellow Polyps, Various Mushrooms, Toadstool Leather, 12 Astraea, 10 Nassarius, 4 Bumble Bee, 6 Cerith Snails, 12 Red Tip Hermits.
phases99 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
clean, cleaning

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com