cleaning my sand

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Animal-Chin

Aquarium Advice Addict
So my 40 gallon tank has been up since july and I've had dyno's since august. I can't beat them, they are too powerful...lol

I'm not stocked at all cause I was waiting to kill this off before coral goes in.

Can I syphon the sand out during water changes and when its all out boil the crap out of it to steralize it?

Should I just suck out the sand, leave it bare bottom for a while then add newly bought sand? I don't really want to waste all the sand thats in there but i'm throwing up the white flag, these dyno's win!!!

Thoughts on boiling sand to re use?

Well of you remove sand you will re start the cycle as remove bacteria. I wouldn't boil I would try to do water changes to reduce the nutrients in the water feeding the algae

Ya i rwad that anf did everything other than the peroxide and thought i beat it too until it came back. Im running a skimmer rater for 150 gallons on 40. I have a fuge full of macro. No nitares or phosphates but this stuff is relentless. I only have it on the sand so i thought id just take it out and start over....

Ya i rwad that anf did everything other than the peroxide and thought i beat it too until it came back. Im running a skimmer rater for 150 gallons on 40. I have a fuge full of macro. No nitares or phosphates but this stuff is relentless. I only have it on the sand so i thought id just take it out and start over....

Oh if it is only on the sand then yeah I'd definitely do the sand. Sorry to hear about the dinos, they are the worst. My friend is battling them at the moment as well.

I've been doing salt for 4 years and have battled pretty much everything. I thought hair algae was the worst until these dynos. I'm almost at full tear down mode. I couldn't emagine getting these with a tank full of coral and fish, what a nightmere that would be....

I finely got rid of mine by hypo treating the tank (You must remove any coral.)
You'll need a refractometer to keep the SG at 1.009 for around 3-4 weeks. And on the plus side i got rid of any ich that may have been in there as well.

Back
Top Bottom