cleaning powerheads?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

badfish

Aquarium Advice Freak
How often should i clean my powerheads. When i do my water changes i take off the screen and rinse off all the gunk, but is this all i need to be doing?

Take them apart appx every 4 to 6 months and clean the insides. Vinegar works well and make sure to rinse and dry well afterwards. It will lengthen the lifespan of the pumps . There's not much to them on the inside.

so i should be good for a while, besides cleaning the screens every once in a while. Thanks Kat.

what screens? I have the same power heads...and i dont see a screen?? i think im missing somthing in this picture.... :mrgreen: lol

It should have a plastic screen that acts as an adapter when you plug them into an undergravel uptake. Keeps things out of the pump.

The plastic part that snaps on the bottom, they have a couple of different kinds, i use the smaller ones. They look like a plastic cylinder with slits in it.

OHHH okay I know now... you recommend the smaller one? i have the longer one on now...

thanks

i dont think it really matters, a buddy of mine uses the longer ones, i just like the smaller ones because its less plastic to look at.

Back
Top Bottom