Cleaning sand bed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Willba200

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have noticed that my sand bed is looking a little dirty with some fish poo etc.... Should I vacuum the sand bed or put in some more cuc? Also if I vacuum won't it just suck all my sand up when all I'm trying to do is take rubbish off the bed

I use a small plastic tube to suck up the junk on the bottom of my sand bed. What I do is make a vortex with the tube just above the sand and get the junk swirling around in the water column and then just suck it up with the tube. Works great.

I have noticed that my sand bed is looking a little dirty with some fish poo etc.... Should I vacuum the sand bed or put in some more cuc? Also if I vacuum won't it just suck all my sand up when all I'm trying to do is take rubbish off the bed
you really don't want to stir up your sand bed because you could cause a spike in ammonia, nitrates, phosphates, etc. if you are wanting to get rid of the empty shells and things like that you could just suck them off the top with a small plastic hose, as far as the lower part of the sand bad you should look into something that sifts sand like nassarius snails or a queen conch.

how thick is the sand bed??? if its a deep sand bed, you could get away with sucking up the fish crap with a vacuum without stirring up everything. just don't shove the vacuum all the way into the sand and just lightly press it into the bed by about 1/2 - 1/4 of an inch and you should be fine

Back
Top Bottom