cleaning substrate

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jonesy99

Aquarium Advice Activist
Do you need a sand cleaning kit (the air pump ones) for saltwater aquaria or would inverts do an adequite job?

Well it changes from time to time. Most of the time my critters do a good job. They're eating up the left over mysis and poop, stuff like that so I don't disturb my sand bed. Sometimes, I get an outbreak of algae and to start fighting it I'll suck the top layer off of my sand, for that I use the hose off of a gravel vac. I do use the gravel vac from time to time to clean out the little holes in my rock work where the food gets stuck...

Ohhh ok kl :) awsome now i know, btw what cleaning inverts do u have?

Do you need a sand cleaning kit (the air pump ones) for saltwater aquaria or would inverts do an adequite job?

I have never heard of a "Sand Cleaning Kit (the air pump ones)" before. Were have you have seen one before if so I would like to see it. Because my CUC is not doing a very good job anymore.

3 types of snails, 1 kind cleans sand the orher 2 work on rock and glass. 2 types of hermit crabs. 1 urchin and a cleaner shrimp. Sorry i cant remember names or how many, ive restocked the cuc a couple of times...

mwilliams said:
I have never heard of a "Sand Cleaning Kit (the air pump ones)" before. Were have you have seen one before if so I would like to see it. Because my CUC is not doing a very good job anymore.

Oh, i live in the uk, but pets at home ;)

3 types of snails, 1 kind cleans sand the orher 2 work on rock and glass. 2 types of hermit crabs. 1 urchin and a cleaner shrimp. Sorry i cant remember names or how many, ive restocked the cuc a couple of times...

What type of Urchin and they are reef safe correct?

I have a pistol shrimp in my 24 gallon and its sand is amazing. It looked like I had a blizzard in the tank for the first month as the shrimp did his building of his tunnels. These are great snails but don't get to many of them or they will starve Saltwater Aquarium Invertebrates for Marine Reef Aquariums: Super Tongan Nassarius Snail Have you thought about a few hermit crabs they can be hit or miss in a reef I haven't had that many problems with them but if I do I just stick them in my sump where they are seem to do fine. Urchins are little bulldozers in reef tanks.

I have three Nassarius Snail, I did have several hermits but several have perished, I also have several of the snails that clean the glass & rocks but I have lost a few of them because when they fell I could not reach them to put them upright again. I have many Peppermint Shrimps would they hurt the Pistol Shrimp when he molts? My son has been begging me to get the spikey urchins but always have worried about the spikes and how to get them home from the LFS as well.

my urchin is very good to my reef tank. He hasnt knocked over anything yet. I have a banded long spine that is probably 3-4 inches accross

Back
Top Bottom