Cleaning Your Substrate

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GhostKnife

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Who all here cleans their sand/substrate and who here lets their clean up crew and sand sifters do it for them?

I agree. The only time I mess with the sand bed is when I have an issue. After the upgrade I was fighting cyano and I siphoned a lot of sand out of the tank while removing the cyano. Other then that I leave it alone and let the CUC do their job. I recently added a sand sifting star, (got it from a guy that was breaking his system down) and it is doing a fine job of turning the sand. Nassarius snails do the rest.

I vacuum the top 1" or so of mine, but just in the front (where most of the current dumps stuff) and only about once a month. I've probably got about 4" deep sand in that area.

I vacuum the top 1" or so of mine, but just in the front (where most of the current dumps stuff) and only about once a month. I've probably got about 4" deep sand in that area.

I do the same except the entire tank in rows, whether it's a dsb or not.

Between my CUC and gobies they take care of all the cleaning. No vacuuming for me.

i also vacuum up a portion of mine every two weeks. Of course i have no sand sifters...no room for the extra bio load.

Between my CUC and gobies they take care of all the cleaning. No vacuuming for me.

+1.gif
^; although I do sometimes rake and remove dead shells and rock left from failed frags.

Back
Top Bottom