cleanup crew?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

squidlyme

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi, everyone. I have a 90 gallon FO setup. I see a lot of posts on here about snail and crab cleanup crews. I have a yellow tang, saddleback clown, 3 little damsels, and 3 green chromis.
I have a protien skimmer, a wet/dry sump, undergravel filter, and a UV light.

I'm wondering if crabs would attack or kill any of these guys?
I've seen some really cool looking ones, but are some les of a threat than others?
Also, what exactly would snails eat?

TIA[/code]

All crabs have the potential to be a threat. Some just more than others. About the safest crabs I can think of are the emerald or strawberry mythrax crabs. And the porcelain crab who is a filter feeder. You could get some blue legged hermits. They are good cleaners.
There are different types of snails. The snails like nassarius will burrow in the sand and come out and eat left over food to help keep the tank clean. Then you have the algae grazers like the astrea and turbos.

One cool thing I have is a sandsifting star that does exactly what it promises, and well too. Also, a couple of camelbacks eat algea and leftovers on the ground. I know arrow crabs are a problem, so i wouldnt spring 4 those, but emerald crabs are good (i have 1 that is perfect). One thing that comes good with live rock (if you ever got some) would be pods. They come with it and do a good job at cleaning, but they usually end up as snacks for my fish...

hope it helps
-trent

But would he have any problems with a sandsifting star and a UGF? Worried that one of the arms may get stuck and possibly break off. I have no first had experience with it, just curious if this could happen?

And beware blue-legged hermits and asterial (sp?) snails. The snails are prone to tipping over and not being able to right themselves, and then mr. blue legged hermit comes along and gobbles them up and takes their shell. Make sure that you offer them plenty of shell options in the hopes that they leave your snails alone!!!

personally, i would go with Asterea, Trochus, Cerith, and Nerite snails they are usually the best core for a saltwater aquarium. You could also use mexican turbo snails, nassarius are good they only burry themselves one inch in the sand Watch out for hermitt crabs like everyone else said they will steal a vulnerable(sp) snails shell. also you may wanna try some shrimp preferably a red fire cleaner shrimp. Emerald crabs are scavangers and will eat just about anything laying around they are also very reef safe. so good luck you have alot of choices to choose from try www.Liveaquaria.com, www.aquacon.com, Saltwater fish, seahorses, corals, inverts, live rock, reef, marine life — Marine Depot Live,.

But would he have any problems with a sandsifting star and a UGF? Worried that one of the arms may get stuck and possibly break off. I have no first had experience with it, just curious if this could happen?

I highly doubt it, the pull of the undergravel filter isn't nearly strong enough to damage a sandsifting star. They are some of the stronger stars out there too, compared to say, serpents.

I haven't had any problems with my SSS at all, but note that he will eventually run out of food in your sand bed, and you'll have to begin spot-feeding him. I was feeding mine twice a week, when he would slip under the gravel again, I'd put a piece of krill or shrimp under him... he'd usually work on it for a few hours and devour it. I notice if he roams over the food above the gravel he wouldn't eat it though, only after he goes under the sand.

Also if you have a Sandsifter then don't bother getting any Nasirrus snails, he'll eat him as soon as he comes across them.

Back
Top Bottom