Cleanup crew question?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Shannono

Aquarium Advice Regular
I'm a little embarassed to ask this question, BUT... :oops:

I currently have a FO tank - no live rock. Can I add a cleanup crew to my tank without live rock, or is the live rock the only way I will keep my cleanup crew alive?

I dont know if I am right, but the only thing you would have to clean is the glass and sand right?

I wouldnt see the purpose of crabs, but I think snails would keep stuff cleaned off.

...the only thing you would have to clean is the glass and sand right?
Well, I do have faux and dead corals in the tank as my decoration. I don't know if I could count on a cleanup crew to keep those clean, or if it's up to me. And yes, it would be nice to have the glass and sand taken care of. Of course, I know I'll still have to do my part, just wanted to find out if ANY kind of cleanup crew is an option. My LFS store said "No, not for a fish only tank", but I have my doubts about those guys (especially since they adamantly refuse to recommend fishless cycling), and I thought I'd ask the decidedly more open (and more well-read) minds on this forum.

Soounds like your LFS is all about the $$. I think they just want the money for you to buy a fish to cycle with, have it die and then you buy another...

Get a mag float and run it once a week, that would take care of your glass.

IMO the crew won't keep your faux coral as clean as you might think, but I'd still do some snails - look at the nassarius vibex. They are very good for the sand bed. Maybe others for the glass. I'd try a handfull of hermits for leftover foods. Maybe others might wonder about that but, I'd try. How old is the tank. Does leftover food hit the bottom?

Get a mag float and run it once a week, that would take care of your glass.
Already have one of those, and I do run it at least once a week.
I'd try a handfull of hermits for leftover foods. Maybe others might wonder about that but, I'd try. How old is the tank. Does leftover food hit the bottom?
The tank is 3 weeks old. Very little leftover food hits the bottom. I try to feed the 5 remaining damsels enough food so that they eat it in 1 to 3 minutes, and these guys don't waste any time! :wink:
...the crew won't keep your faux coral as clean as you might think...
I'm not against doing maintenance myself, BUT... if snails might help, then why not?

I'd still do some snails - look at the nassarius vibex. They are very good for the sand bed.
More questions:
1. Can anyone tell me how many snails I should have in my 90 gallon tank?
2. Do you start with a few and then build up, or do you buy a bunch at one time and add them all at once?
3. Does having snails in the tank mean that I can't have as many fish in my tank?
4. Do you quarantine snails as you do fish?
5. Are their any particular snails that will clean the glass, or are the nassarius vibex a good choice for that also?

90 snails.

Snails dont add to the bioload, so you can add all at once.

Snails dont add to the bioload so you can still have the same number of fish.

You dont QT them but you want to acclimate them very very slowly.

Go with the Vibex, as I am unsure on this one.

90 snails.
90 snails?? Good grief! That seems like an army! Will they completely carpet the sandbed or will I really not notice that there are so many in the tank? :roll:

I'd start with handfull of snails. Don't want too many. They'll starve without rock and being in a young tank. I think that "1 snail per gallon" is for live rock. No need to QT them. The vibex will work the sand. Might not see them, since they hang out under the snd until feeding time, then they surface. Won't do anything for the glass. Try astreas of smaller turbos (big ones poop a lot :roll: ). And they won't add to your bio-load.

90 snails........ Where does that number come from???
IMO it all depends on how old the tank is, in a new tank there may not be enough food for 90 snails. Start out slow and build up.....
Also in a 3 week old tank is the cycle done yet? Don't add any snails till the cycle is done.
the lfs is not 100% correct about adding inverts to a fo tank. It all depends on your fish choice are you planing on adding any fish that will eat inverts? If no is the answer then inverts are ok.
Also if a fish gets sick and you have inverts you are limited to the meds you can use to treat the tank so remember this.
I have a FOWLR and have inverts in there with a puffer and SFE. Inverts add a lot to a tank IMO the crabs are GREAT.
I would start with 2 dozen snails of different kinds and 12 or so scarlet or blue leg hermits. Fish poop so the crabs will have plenty to eat....
WAIT TILL THE TANK HAS FULLY CYCLED BEFORE ADDING INVERTS.
Good luck.......

Back
Top Bottom