Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-28-2003, 04:44 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Cleanup Crew Suggestions?

I am looking for ideas on a good cleanup crew:

I have 10 red-legged hermit crabs

I was planning on:

adding 15-20 more red-legged hermits
25-30 Turbo Snails
3-4 Emerald Crabs
3-4 Sand Stars

Old 04-28-2003, 04:49 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via AIM to fergieturk
My bf has 3 jumbo turbo snails in his 165 g tank - they are about the size of a golf ball. They do an excellent job. Maybe you could get one or two of those.
What kind of stars are you planning to get?

Old 04-28-2003, 08:55 PM   #3

Quote:
I was planning on:

adding 15-20 more red-legged hermits
25-30 Turbo Snails
3-4 Emerald Crabs
3-4 Sand Stars
I would only add 20 more hermits blue legged though
10 Mexican Turbo snails ( make sure your rocks are well planted..these are clumsy snails but great)
The Emeralds are cool
No sand sifting stars or any stars for that matter......Let your sand/tank mature for at least 6 months ( you need the worms and benthic life to grow ), then use about 3 Nassarius snails... They are great..
Old 04-28-2003, 10:52 PM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to loganj
I agree on the blue leg hermits. Personally I like the astrea snails better than turbos because they don't move things around as much. I like the emeralds too...have some in each tank. If you put sand sifting stars in the tank, they will decimate your sand bed. I also use cerith and nassarius snails. In the 180, I put in 100 blue legs, 10 scarlets, 50 astreas, 25 ceriths, 6 emeralds, 6 sally lightfoots, and 6 peppermint shrimp. Might be too much, but the tank will be well fed so I think they'll be OK. I have higher than normal numbers of cleanup critters in all my tanks and they're all doing well.
Logan J
Old 04-28-2003, 11:43 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

I would recommend keeping the blue legs to a minimum. Mine have killed snails, scarlet hermits and 2 conchs. I would go with the scarlets since they are much less aggressive. If you can try starting out with about 25 of each type of snail, (turbo, nassirus, cerith etc.) Once your tank has matured a little you can add a fighting conch, and a tiger tail cucumber. The conchs and cucumber are great for keeping the top of your sand bed clean.

Brian
Old 04-29-2003, 12:26 AM   #6

Blue Leg Hermits "Pirate or Beneficial"

I have seen this in a few of the threads here and want to let everyone know that Blue Leg Hermits are very effective algae and detritus eaters and are very beneficial.

I read this in some posts early on and thought I would test the theory that blue leg hermits kill snails out of vengence or prey.. Not always true.

I have witnessed them killing snails, however, it was because the snail fell off the glass or rock and could not right itself (could be from the crab pestering it when I wasn't watching). This would leave the snail helpless. Astrea snails are famous for not righting themselves. Lunch begins.

It is pefectly natural for hermit crabs to fight and kill each other for shells, no matter what the specie. This is nature. Please don't stop using these cool creatures because of these stories of murder and mayhem with the Blue Leg Hermits, they really are our tanks friends...
Old 04-29-2003, 08:35 AM   #7
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
I have witnessed them killing snails, however, it was because the snail fell off the glass or rock and could not right itself. This would leave the snail helpless. Astrea snails are famous for it. This is clearly the fault of the snail.
That's kinda like saying, it's the banks fault they got robbed, cause they got all that money.

All crabs are opportunistic and if their preferred food runs out...they will eat what they can, whether it is snails (I have never seen one kill for food, they go for the shell), shrimp or sessile inverts.

Visit Nature Coast Photography
reefrunner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2003, 09:13 AM   #8

This was my observance...Anyways, I guess if they can pick at the snail enough, it will let loose and fall to their demise...
Old 04-29-2003, 09:21 AM   #9
AA Team Emeritus

I just meant it wasn't the snails fault...now if the snail had been hitting on the crabs girlfriend, or had stolen his beer, that's a different story.

There is a war going on in our tanks, it's a violent place, if I can get some pics...I'll post, in a different thread, some of the warfare going on in my tank, just from the corals.

Visit Nature Coast Photography
reefrunner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2003, 09:34 AM   #10

Save the snails

I edited the previous post to reflect that it is not always the snails fault in dying. Kevin pointed out that the crabs; when left with no other food source will attack pretty much anything they can get for food..So now, I guess we can run a campaign in our tanks to stop the violence..

Save the snails

Tags
clean, cleanup, suggestions

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com